Super Contributor

Forget Ebola, it's soda that should terrify you

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/21/7028989/forget-ebola-its-soda-that-should-terrify-you

Drinking soda regularly can age the body just as much as smoking regularly, a new study finds.

A team of public health researchers, led by the University of California San Francisco's Elissa Epel, looked at the cellular impact of regular soda consumption (diet sodas were excluded). Specifically, they looked at the length of study participants' telomeres: the caps at the end of chromosomes that, as they describe it, "protect the genomic DNA from damage."

Telomeres naturally get shorter as we get older. But separate research has shown that certain behaviors, such as smoking, can also cause shrinkage. And shorter telomere length is associated with a higher risk for heart disease and some cancers.

Epel and her team used the federal National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey and found that those who drank more soda tended to have shorter telomeres. They found that each daily 8-ounce serving of soda (two-thirds of a can of Coke) was equivalent to an additional 1.9 years of aging. A daily 20-ounce serving (the standard, plastic bottle size for sodas) was associated with 4.6 years of additional telomere aging — the same damage researchers have previously found among regular smokers.

This is just one study and, as the researchers write, research into telomere's associations with health conditions is a "relatively new field." But it's part of a growing body of research showing that soda, albeit, delicious, is terrible for our health.

Honored Contributor

Re: Forget Ebola, it's soda that should terrify you

Soda, both regular and sugar-free, was one of the first items that my endocrinologist eliminated from my diet when I was diagnosed a type-2 diabetic.

Respected Contributor

I am doomed.

Honored Contributor

Oh, no! I don't drink diet anything. Young children should keep away from it, for sure. At least give them a chance early in their lives. I'd rather use a bit of sugar.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

I've given up soda, except for an occasional glass at a restaurant. I wonder if we gain back any of what we lose, when we stop drinking soda. Or is the damage permanent?

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

The esteemed head of the CDC, thinks so too. He was Bloomberg's soda ban man. Lol
Esteemed Contributor

This interesting, I am going to show it to a certain someone in my family.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

With all the things more likely to kill you, I guess I just don't understand why some fear Ebola so much. They want to change so much when just a handful of cases have happened. And yet won't do a thing about the other dangers.

Honored Contributor

I stopped drinking soft drinks years ago, mainly drink water now.
For what it's worth, these are the actual conclusions reached
by the study referenced in the original post:

~~~~~

"Conclusions.
Regular consumption of sugar-sweetened sodas
might influence
metabolic disease development through accelerated cell aging."

~~~~~

Read more at:
http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302151?journalCode=ajph&

(edited to correct link)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I would pretty much consider this to be nonsense. It's ludicrous to say drinking soda is as potentially damaging as smoking.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment