Respected Contributor

teal pumpkin and food allergies

Respected Contributor

Re: teal pumpkin and food allergies

personally....I think it's stupid....and another effort to take personal responsibility off the shoulders of who it rightfully belongs........it's the responsibility of the parent of a child with allergies to monitor what they eat and also the child..........as a mother of a child that had a whole host of food allergies..........it was MY job to watch what he had access to and HIS job also......he knew what foods he couldn't eat....if he had a question about something, he asked.....even at parties when he was offered cake and ice cream, he would tell them he couldn't eat ice cream and pass on it.........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

While I agree it is the parents responsibility I still think it is a good idea. My dd has celiac she is older now so this would not apply to her. But if she was of that age I think it is a nice gesture so that these kids do not have to feel left out. JMO.

Super Contributor

I like the idea. I'd really love to know why there are so many potentially life-threatening allergies in children today. This was practically unheard of when I was a child. I don't even remember it when my kids were small.

Honored Contributor

That's dumb idea and I don't think anyone will do it because it's too expensive. You can buy two bags of candy at Walmart and that will cover the 40 tricksters you get. If you are going to hand out little gifts, it's going to cost a whole lot more. Plus...helllllooooooo...kids who trick or treat do not want pencils or stickers; they want candy. That's part of the fun. I really don't like the idea of taking something away 90% of kids, to cater to the special needs of 10% of kids. It isn't right. Like it or not, kids with food allergies have to learn to cope with their allergies very early in life. And until they are mature enough to do that, some things will be off limits to them for the own protection. And it's not the end of the world. My brother was born with deformed hips, he had 9 or 10 hip operations before he was 14. He was never able to trick or treat with us because his crutches and braces. He always had a cool costume and he was in charge of giving the candy out at our house. He got to participate in his own way. When you have a kid with special needs, you have to be creative. You figure out how to let your child experience childhood without taking away from other kids.

Honored Contributor

I've always had little gifts to go along with candy for the younger kids. Target usually sells bags of them near the Halloween candy.

I've been thinking of a way to do both at the same time, the Teal approach and candy for other kids. It seems difficult, you'd have to ask and clear it with the parent, which would make it impossible.

If it was my child, I'd do what I used to do anyway. I gave a Halloween party every year for the kids we knew and their parents. That way you can control what's offered to eat.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I like the idea.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

On 10/23/2014 chrystaltree said:

. You figure out how to let your child experience childhood without taking away from other kids.

Sentence of the day ...........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

On 10/23/2014 reese2 said:

I like the idea. I'd really love to know why there are so many potentially life-threatening allergies in children today. This was practically unheard of when I was a child. I don't even remember it when my kids were small.

It is because of the additives that are now used. That were not used years ago.
Respected Contributor

How does that take away from other kids?