Honored Contributor

How to Bust Out of a Hair Rut - great tips!

Does Your Hair Have a Hold on You?

How to bust out of a hair rut

PUBLISHED: October 20, 2014 / WOMEN's HEALTH.com

It's no secret that women have especially strong feelings about their hair, and those feelings, it turns out, extend beyond vanity. "Hair impacts how our facial features are viewed, but it's also one of the few things we can easily change to make us feel better about ourselves," says Vivian Diller, Ph.D., a New York City psychologist who specializes in the psychological impact of beauty on women.

In fact, researchers at the L'Oreal-Recherche Centre in France found that women who had just gotten a beloved new 'do reported more joy and confidence and less stress compared to how they felt before they hit the salon.

Sadly, hair can also have the opposite effect: In a Pantene study published in the Royal Society of Medicine Press, people said a bad hair day makes them feel worse about themselves. And nearly 60 percent of women have cried over a hated haircut, according to a survey from Styleseat.com.

This push and pull of emotions is the root cause of hair obsession: "Women either get stuck in a comfort zone or keep changing their hair to try to improve their overall look," says Diller. That can mean chronically coloring your hair different shades or holding on to one style for decades. But the truth is, escaping a hair hold can cause your mood—and attractiveness—to soar. So if any of these scenarios hits a nerve (or follicle), follow our advice.

You Pony Up—Every Day
Leaving your hair down is as head-turning as wearing a prom dress to work.

The ponytail is the hair equivalent of yoga pants: quick, comfy, and easily susceptible to a rut. To avoid getting stuck in one, ask yourself why you're always chasing tails. Didn't wash? Spritz a dry shampoo onto roots and dab shine serum on ends for instant polish. Cr@ppy cut? Opt for the versatile, flattering "lob," a.k.a. long bob. "It skims the collarbone, works for all hair textures, and gives that liberating feeling of taking some hair off while offering a lot of styling freedom—and you can still make a pony," assures Suave Professionals hairstylist Marcus Francis.

God forbid someone spot a gray hair on your head, which is why you're a frequent flier at the salon.
Do you run for color the second your grays grow in? It's time to ace your base.

"If you have dark hair with more than 50 percent gray, make your base color a shade or two lighter so regrowth is less noticeable," says Matrix hairstylist George Papanikolas. Shampoo-out touch-up products buy two extra weeks between colorings. And work with your colorist to find an at-home kit that actually matches—it will halve your salon visits. (Go one shade lighter than your base to avoid a too-dark result.)

You're In A Cut Rut
Dying for a new style but fear it will never work with your face shape or hair texture?

Happy news for those eager to enter Bobville, Shagtown, or Pixiverse: There's a fresh short snip that will work for almost everyone. Discuss options with your stylist, and go prepared with pics of celebs who have your same hair texture and face shape. For example, a blunt, chin-length bob is great on most face shapes, says Francis. And despite its short length, a bob can work with most hair types (curly bobs, however, tend to look too wide). Boy-inspired styles are gorg on those with a small face and straight hair.

Highlights get you high.
And not because of the chemicals.

"In this country, blonde isn't a common hair color, so it's more attention-grabbing," says Diller. If you're a brunette wanting to channel her inner Goldilocks, know that going too light will likely cause damage and work against your hair's hotness. So get highlights with the change of season—not month. "My clients who receive the most compliments on their hair get highlights only four times a year," says Papanikolas, who's known for lightening front pieces and ends for the most impact and least upkeep.

You blow half of your paycheck on blowouts.
Spending crazy amounts of time or money on a blowout isn't healthy. So give 'em a break!

"So many beautiful, iconic looks—like Sarah Jessica Parker's curls or Gisele's waves—have been inspired by natural texture," says Alan David, a hairstylist at the Warren Tricomi salon in New York City. Wavy? If going natural still freaks you out, smooth out only the crown and the front pieces. "It's a half-assed blowout, which saves time and gives your lengths and ends a rest," says David. Curly girls: Just let your coils do their thing all over.

Long Hair Is Like A Security Blanket
You'd feel naked with less length.

Yo, Rapunzel: If you're latching on to your long hair to hide a least-favorite facial feature (e.g., a prominent nose or round cheeks), it's time to let go. Your endless locks could actually be having the opposite effect by dragging down your face. Lop off a couple of inches so hair's around mid-bra length, then snip long, face-framing layers starting at the collarbone. "I'm a big fan of this length on women of all ages, and the layers really help open the face without sacrificing length in the front," says hairstylist Ric Pipino, vice president of global creative for Alterna Haircare. A bonus? A mini chop gets rid of old, dry, straggly ends.

Valued Contributor

Re: How to Bust Out of a Hair Rut - great tips!

I'm one of those frequent style changers---right now it's chin length but I use barrettes to hold it back---I had a boy cut forever and needed a change---I think longer will be fun---I get it colored my used-to-be color with light ( sparse) highlights----what fun and interesting tips---thanks
Valued Contributor

I have brown hair and long bangs
Valued Contributor

am I the only who breaks into a sweat about hair? I've been burgundy and blonde---weird,hmm?
Honored Contributor

I had someone tell me years ago that I went thru more hairstyles than normal women went thru shoes! Still love that nut to this day! He wasn't even a husband.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

that's me to a T---LOL---my family is used to it---I was blonde once, for one month, other, 3 months---unfortunately it was memorialized in family wedding pictures. :-D
Honored Contributor

I haven't been blonde for maybe 15 years but that's still how I think of myself. I'm toying with the idea but don't want the upkeep -- money or time. I wish my silver would just take over already. I like my hair short and am sticking with that.
Honored Contributor

On 10/21/2014 Preds said:

I had someone tell me years ago that I went thru more hairstyles than normal women went thru shoes! Still love that nut to this day! Smile He wasn't even a husband. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}Sounds like a good friend, Preds.

I change hairstyles quite a bit, though I always keep it long. Never have changed the color (auburn chestnut), but who knows what might happen around the bend?

Fun thread, feline groovy!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 10/21/2014 sylviahomeatlast said: I'm one of those frequent style changers---right now it's chin length but I use barrettes to hold it back---I had a boy cut forever and needed a change---I think longer will be fun---I get it colored my used-to-be color with light ( sparse) highlights----what fun and interesting tips---thanks

I have brown hair and long bangs...

am I the only who breaks into a sweat about hair? I've been burgundy and blonde---weird,hmm?...

*That's great, Sylvia. And you can vary the way you style it and wear it, especially with the long bangs. I have brown hair too (med-to-dark), naturally wavy but baby fine, long layers around my face, and the current length approx. 4 1/2" past my shoulders.

*I think you probably have lots of company when it comes to 'hair anxiety', LOL. And props to you for changing up the color. That burgundy-toned brown or red sounds cool.

*Appreciate your thanks, plus the fact that you're enjoying this thread. 8)

Honored Contributor

On 10/21/2014 Preds said:

I had someone tell me years ago that I went thru more hairstyles than normal women went thru shoes! Still love that nut to this day! He wasn't even a husband.

Men just don't get it. Smiley Wink

Awesome that you like to rock different looks.