Valued Contributor

Giving Up Liquid Softner In Washing Machine

Saw a post the other day about this and I didn't remember if any one had mentioned how much to put in. Any who use this way of softening clothes? If so how much do you put into the dispenser. ? And do you ad a bit of water to it?

Honored Contributor

Re: Giving Up Liquid Softner In Washing Machine

IMO - it is so much simpler to just use the dryer sheets and when you are done with the wash for that week - wash the lint screen from the dryer to remove any build up that may be on it from the dryer sheets.

Honored Contributor

I use Downey (the scent-free one of course) and I use less than half the amount (capful) that they say to use. I, then, fill the rest of the fabric softener dispenser with water.

I don't use it on everything either - mostly just my clothes. All the household stuff, the cleaning lady's cleaning rags, etc, don't need it.

So, a bottle of Downey lasts me many many months. Smiley Happy

I tried stuff that people have said worked for them, like white vinegar, and it doesn't do a thing. Clothes will come out full of static and it's just not worth it. I love white vinegar for some things, but it's not a fabric softener. I do use it in some loads, though, just as kind of a sanitizer.

Esteemed Contributor

Ever since reading that softeners are carcinogenic, I have stopped using them. I was very surprised when my clothes did not feel any different or less soft.

Super Contributor

What about the static cling in the winter time? I can't stand that.

Super Contributor

I add Oxyclean powder along with my detergent in the wash....and use 4 dryer balls in the dryer. The combination somehow keeps the clothes soft and static free.
Esteemed Contributor

Whatever is called for, I use half. Works well for me.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

After reading the other thread on this topic I checked my dispenser and saw that there was a build-up starting since I began using liquid softener a couple weeks ago. So I added water to a lesser amount of softener this morning. I tried to clean out the little bit of build up but it didn't immediately dissolve with water poured over so I'll have to wipe it out after the laundry is finished today.

Good to know about that build-up. I would not have thought to look, otherwise.

Honored Contributor

I don't use fabric softener. I use white vinegar in my laundry.

I use dryer sheets only on towels and underwear/socks.

Respected Contributor

I use Mrs Meyer's dryer sheets. They use a vegetable derivative as the softening agent plus essential oils onto a paper sheet. You can buy them at Target. I can't remember the last time I used fabric softener.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____