Frequent Contributor

alaska...when is the best time of year to go? And what city-town

My husband and I (not so much my children), would love to visit Alaska. It really is a dream vacation in my mind. Just was thinking about it a lot today, so I thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone on the boards has been there and what your thoughts are.

Thanks in advance.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: alaska...when is the best time of year to go? And what city-town

I like Homer, AK.

Frequent Contributor

We did a cruise/land tour end of June/beg July a few years back. Apparently it is usually pretty warm then but it was chilly when we were there. If you are interested in seeing bears fishing for salmon, you need to go a little later. We did see bears in Denali and Haines but were told the end of the month would have increased our chances at seeing them in the streams fishing in Haines. Tons of eagles in Haines and beautiful scenery there! Loved Juneau too for whale watching (saw bubble feeding) and the glaciers!!

You MUST get there, it is amazing! Smile

Respected Contributor

Are you driving or cruising? What are your desired activities?

Respected Contributor

We've driven the Al-Can all the way up, then ferried home. What a crazy ride and fun except for the few and far between outhouses! We really roughed it, sleeping in the back of the truck, cooking on the tailgate. Wild. We read James Michener's Alaska to each other on the way, made it even more fun.

Favorite city was Skagway for its history.

Trusted Contributor

Take a cruise during the summer months & you will get to see several places. I would never go there in the winter--not only is it too cold for my taste, but there is very little daylight in the winter months because it is so far north. Plan to see lots of wildlife and have fun!
Honored Contributor

It's your lucky day! You get to see Mt. McKinley, highest mt. In North America at 20,320 ft. Most days it's "socked in". This a cam located in Denali Nat'l Park.

photo imagejpg1-60.jpg

My favorite cities are Skagway and Ketchikan. Take a cruise anytime in the summer but pick a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay. They limit the number of ships allowed so many do not go there, and it's a must-see. Definitely plan a side trip to Denali too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

Yes, pick a cruiseline that goes into Glacier Bay. Spectacular! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

I was there the first 2 weeks in September. Cool and crisp. Loved it after a hot summer. Took a 7 day cruise and a 4 day land trip. Had an absolutely wonderful time.
Honored Contributor

June is the best time (go in summer only). Not that cold. Go on an Alaskan cruise. See Glacier Bay. I enjoyed the Mount Roberts Tramway in Juneau, and White Pass train in Skagway. If you can, go in a sea plane over the glaciers.