Respected Contributor

One of my favorite channels, Turner Classic Movies, isn't on my Dish anymore.....I might be pulling it today and remarrying my cable company.

Valued Contributor

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) — Turner Networks has pulled channels such as Cartoon Network and CNN from Dish's programming lineup as a deadline passed for renewing their distribution agreement.

Dish Network Corp. said Tuesday that Turner refused to extend the overall deal.

Other channels Turner yanked from Dish's programming include Boomerang, HLN, truTV, CNN en Espanol and Turner Classic Movies.

Englewood, Colorado-based Dish said that it is still committed to reaching an agreement with Turner that will allow the channels to return to its lineup quickly.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20141021/us--turner_networks-dish_network-1646657245.html

Esteemed Contributor

That burns me up!!! TCM is one of my favorite channels!!!!!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I know all the providers go through this form time to time but Dish always seems to drop the ball on channel renewals...I remember the big fiasco when they dropped AMC and all the Breaking Bad/Walking Dead fans were outraged....can't bloame them....you pay a provider for a service so they should make sure they maintain that service!!!!

Valued Contributor
On 10/21/2014 straykatz said:

I know all the providers go through this form time to time but Dish always seems to drop the ball on channel renewals...I remember the big fiasco when they dropped AMC and all the Breaking Bad/Walking Dead fans were outraged....can't bloame them....you pay a provider for a service so they should make sure they maintain that service!!!!

Even when a channel wants to nearly double what they are paid by the distributor (Dish, Direct, cable) that will result in a large increase in consumer prices? Multiply that by however many distribution contracts come up in a year. How long would regular increases in monthly premiums be sustainable?

The channels depend on consumer outrage to tip the balance in their favor while the allegiance of the distributors is to keep customer costs in check as much as possible. The channels don't want to be removed from the distributor lists and the distributors don't want to lose the channels. It is nothing more than a negotiation tactic.

Respected Contributor

I know it's a negotiation tactic....doesn't make it right by either party....eventually they work it out and all gets smoothed over ..... and some customers move on to a different provider and others stay....rinse and repeat.

Respected Contributor

That was terrible. I kept them and love Dish.

Respected Contributor
On 10/21/2014 esmeraldagooch said:

That was terrible. I kept them and love Dish.

Yeah......they finally reached a deal with AMC a nano-second before the new season of Mad Men was to start.....I was really nervous about that one!

Super Contributor

I am a whole lot more upset about CNN and HLN, they are my "go to" news channels. Have them on almost 24/7 -- well, except when I manage to get some sleep in lol.

Sigh.

In Sunny AZ
Esteemed Contributor

I just called Dish to kvetch - they gave me 3 free months of Cinemax and said they should have TCM back in a month. I don't know anything about Cinemax, I just told her I like the older, classic movies...........they are going to be getting a lot of complaints.