Super Contributor

Anyone still have a rotary phone?

I just called a local govt office and got the longest menu I've ever heard. For this language, press one number, for another language, press another number, for various "if you want information about x, y or z" then press the numbers pertinent to those issues.

And "if you have a rotary phone, please stay on the line and someone will assist you".

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a rotary phone. Maybe when I was a student, in the early 1980s?

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone still have a rotary phone?

We were one of the last ones to convert. I believe we went digital in the early 2000's.

Super Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

yep! in the basement! DH just likes looking at it, I think. OMG...have to use a pencil or stick

to dial that thing and the mind doesn't DO rotary any more. However....when the power goes

out and the digital phones don't work in the 'comcast bundle debacle' it comes in handy!

Esteemed Contributor

I have some rotary phones. It's more fun to dial numbers than to push them. I love telephones.........I also have two ericofons.

Super Contributor

On 10/20/2014 clemintine said:

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

yep! in the basement! DH just likes looking at it, I think. OMG...have to use a pencil or stick

to dial that thing and the mind doesn't DO rotary any more. However....when the power goes

out and the digital phones don't work in the 'comcast bundle debacle' it comes in handy!

OMG, you're right! Haha, we too have a rotary phone for powercuts/earthquake situations! I had totally forgotten about it, because it's stuck in a corner upstairs where I'd never think to look for a phone normally, I always use the one in the kitchen.

There was I, saying I thought rotary phones went out with the Ark, and I actually have one {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Esteemed Contributor

I'm waiting for a rotary cell phone.

Super Contributor

I have a black rotary in my closet. I keep it for sentimental reasons. I also have a white princess rotary in the bedroom as the landline extension.

Super Contributor

On 10/20/2014 Snowpuppy said:

I'm waiting for a rotary cell phone.

{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}pretty sure "what's old is new again" won't include a rotary cell phone.......

(DH, my "save it" guy, would still have the bag cell phone if I hadn't thrown it out. Still

has the "Pheobe" phone, tho. Something about it......)

Respected Contributor

Some push button phones are actually on a rotary line. You push a button but you can hear the click click click. They might have them all converted now but out in the ""sticks"" maybe not.

We have an old old old rotary desk phone that we hooked up just for fun. Don't use it much though. The handset is HEAVY and you have to stand right there! Remember those days???

Respected Contributor

ugh, I hated when you got the busy signal or dialed the wrong number. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}