Trusted Contributor
has anyone here ever tried brushing her teeth with baking soda to whiten or brighten it? if yes, please tell me how you did it. caffeine is wreaking havoc on my teeth but I don't want to give it up Smiley Happy thanx!
Respected Contributor

Re: brushing with baking soda

It's what folks used to use in the old days before toothpaste and during the depression. I remember using it once or twice as a kid when we ran out of toothpaste. You moisten your toothbrush and dip the bristles on some soda and brush away. It tastes nasty though.

I am willing to be corrected on this ""how to"".

Honored Contributor

I'm wondering if adding some flavoring of some sort? Maybe a drop of vanilla extract? Maybe not..........How about a drop of mint flavored Listerine. Just a drop into the baking soda. It might taste better. I recall trying baking soda years ago, but didn't care for the taste.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I could never do that. I would gag

Super Contributor

On 10/20/2014 scotttie said:

It's what folks used to use in the old days before toothpaste and during the depression. I remember using it once or twice as a kid when we ran out of toothpaste. You moisten your toothbrush and dip the bristles on some soda and brush away. It tastes nasty though.

I am willing to be corrected on this ""how to"".

You're not going to be corrected by me! That's the way we brushed our teeth when we were kids. Our folks were thrifty!

toothpaste: baking soda mixed w/ salt

deodorant: baking soda

shampoo: a bar of Ivory soap

detangler: apple cider vinegar + water

Honored Contributor

I had a roommate whose father was dentist. She had all us brushing with baking soda to keep are teeth white. (in addition to brushing with tooth paste)

Honored Contributor

There was Colgate Tooth Powder in a tin, as I recall from a poster a couple of months ago. I remember finding a photo on the Web. Maybe it was flavored, though. p.s. Someone here mentioned Pepsodent Tooth Powder, which I recall seeing somewhere, too.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I did years ago for a long time. I brushed as usual with the soda and then brushed again with toothpaste to get the soda taste out of my mouth. The teeth feel really clean afterwards.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

SABININI2: You won't believe this (well, maybe you will), but I ran out of shampoo a couple of months ago, and used Ivory Bar Soap instead.! It was there on the bathroom sink counter, my hair was soaking wet, and I didn't want to go down two flights of stairs to where I store my fresh shampoo bottles. And, guess what.......it worked just fine! I gave it a rinse of a bit of white vinegar diluted with warm water, as I often do anyway.

Honored Contributor

On 10/20/2014 ROMARY said:

There was Colgate Tooth Powder in a tin, as I recall from a poster a couple of months ago. I remember finding a photo on the Web. Maybe it was flavored, though.

My grandparents only used Pepsodent tooth powder. I hated when we had to brush our teeth with it.