Respected Contributor

Ever wondered why "The Voice" never has a bad audition? Sure, some people don't get a chair to turn, but we hardly actually think they were bad singers. Well, it's no coincidence, because "The Voice" staffers call managers and agents all over the country to find the best singers, particularly those with difficult histories in the business, and recruits them to audition.

NOT-SO-BLIND AUDITIONS

While the judges haven't heard the voices until the contestants hit the stage, that isn't their first audition. In fact, there are three total: an audition with the producers and other staff, which includes an interview; a callback for executive auditions; and then, if all goes well, an invitation to perform for the judges on national TV.

Although the blind auditions that we see only last about 90 seconds, the process leading up to the performance can take upwards of a month. Preparations include rehearsals with and without the band, photo shoots, interviews, and more before the games really begin.
This may not be too surprising considering that the coaches have established careers beyond coaching "The Voice" contestants, but some coaches don't do much actual coaching. Season 6 contestant Ddendyl said that they only met with coach Shakira for rehearsals to be filmed for the battle intros. "We coached with her a few times and then the majority of our growth was left to us on our own."
A bit of good news: Lots of contestants (and crew members) form real friendships and still perform with each other, and the exposure does help some artists to jumpstart their careers. So while hardly anything we see on reality TV is actually genuine, we can be sure that these real people are getting at least some real benefits from one of America's favorite reality competitions.
Respected Contributor

I think it is obvious that the auditioning people are already screened a great deal.

Same with Idol, it's just that Idol shows a lot more of the picking process. Also Idol deliberately picks people who have absolutely no talent so that the judges can laugh at them and reject people who do have talent so that they can feature the other ones.

Honored Contributor

Interesting...as I suspected. I wonder if the other coaches spend more time with their singers?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor
On 10/20/2014 croemer said:

Interesting...as I suspected. I wonder if the other coaches spend more time with their singers?

I think Blake does. I would bet Pharrell does too.

Honored Contributor
On 10/20/2014 scotttie said:
On 10/20/2014 croemer said:

I think Blake does. I would bet Pharrell does too.

Not sure how I feel about Christina...she seems like a diva. Several years ago she was so detached as was CeeLo. She was down right cruel to a guy who was on the Disney Show with her and became a contestant. He was quite talented and she was just awful to him. I was ticked at the way she treated and humiliated him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

I knew this, all those shows work like that.

But the blind auditions don't mean that no one on the staff ever heard them sing. Its that the "judges" cant judge them on "looks" while they're singing (unlike American Idol who hears them AND sees them). The Voice is only judging on singing.

And by the way the Voice is 100X better than Idol in all ways IMO.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor
On 10/20/2014 Shorty2U said:

I knew this, all those shows work like that.

But the blind auditions don't mean that no one on the staff ever heard them sing. Its that the "judges" cant judge them on "looks" while they're singing (unlike American Idol who hears them AND sees them). The Voice is only judging on singing.

And by the way the Voice is 100X better than Idol in all ways IMO.

ITA. The personalities on the Voice are fantastic, they are all great.

Blind Auditions doesn't mean 1st audition.

Respected Contributor

This part about all the rehearsals with and without the band "before" the blind auditions bothered me more than anything - I guess I was naive enough to think they just walked out on The Voice stage and performed for the 1st time:

Although the blind auditions that we see only last about 90 seconds, the process leading up to the performance can take upwards of a month. Preparations include rehearsals with and without the band, photo shoots, interviews, and more before the games really begin.

Respected Contributor
On 10/21/2014 straykatz said:

This part about all the rehearsals with and without the band "before" the blind auditions bothered me more than anything - I guess I was naive enough to think they just walked out on The Voice stage and performed for the 1st time:

I'm sorry you are disappointed straykatz.

I didn't know they had all those rehearsals with the band etc. but it doesn't really surprise me. This show is more about the interaction between the judges and the contestants and their encouragement of the contestants. Even though they have all that prep time many many many of the auditions go home without anyone picking them.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't care, I just watch to see the judges. The Voice is certainly better than American Idol. I had friends whose band traveled from Arkansas to Houston to try out for AGT. They had two callbacks & didn't get on the show, so they all work that way. It's simply entertainment.