Honored Contributor

How many have changed out their wedding set for a new one?

I have a beautiful diamond ring that DH bought for me made from the diamond in his mother's wedding set. It is a 1/2 carat flawless diamond with some small stones on the shoulder of the ring.You can't buy a diamond of this quality any more. I recognize that my set is old fashioned by todays styles but I love my ring and would not ever consider replacing it. I think my DH's feelings would be very hurt if I wanted to replace it as well. It's not the cost of a new set - I know several women who have replaced their wedding set with CZs.

Several years ago my original setting broke and I was smart enough to buy a setting that has both white and yellow gold on it so I can wear it with either metal. But that was a necessity as the setting had completely fallen off the ring. Are women such slaves to fashion trends that they can't appreciate the classic beauty of an old ring set ?

Honored Contributor

Re: How many have changed out their wedding set for a new one?

I was just asking my DH about this - his answer was -- Unless you have a family stone as I did a guy has to save for months and months to buy a diamond ring for the woman he loves. It is not something he does lightly but with great thought and feelings. I would think it would be very hurtful for a woman to tell him she doesn't like it anymore and wants a bigger or newer one.

A friend of ours we saw at breakfast yesterday had a new ring set and was showing it to me and my DH said - when she was flashing that around did you see the look on his face - he was openly upset with her. I asked what they did with her original rings and she said she gave it to their 13 year old granddaughter.

Respected Contributor

On 10/20/2014 happy housewife said:

I have a beautiful diamond ring that DH bought for me made from the diamond in his mother's wedding set. It is a 1/2 carat flawless diamond with some small stones on the shoulder of the ring.You can't buy a diamond of this quality any more. I recognize that my set is old fashioned by todays styles but I love my ring and would not ever consider replacing it. I think my DH's feelings would be very hurt if I wanted to replace it as well. It's not the cost of a new set - I know several women who have replaced their wedding set with CZs.

Several years ago my original setting broke and I was smart enough to buy a setting that has both white and yellow gold on it so I can wear it with either metal. But that was a necessity as the setting had completely fallen off the ring. Are women such slaves to fashion trends that they can't appreciate the classic beauty of an old ring set ?

You can't buy a diamond of that quality any more? Small sizes can be purchased at any quality. They are abundant and relatively inexpensive.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

So if your husband bought you a 3ct, flawless, D color, Ideal cut diamond, you wouldn't wear it? Alrighty then.
Honored Contributor

I just swap out husbands.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

On 10/20/2014 Preds said:

I just swap out husbands.

LOL

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

I think it's a personal choice to purchase a new set just as it's yours not to.

Super Contributor

Some people are practical and skip the whole 3 month salary tradition and opt for simple wedding bands.

Honored Contributor

Wedding set? No. We were far too poor for that. We were still in college. He bought me a 1/2 carat diamond later which I was SO excited about it! Then years bought me a bigger diamond and later a diamond band. I cherish them all, cherish my husband and he cherishes me.

It didn't make any difference to either of us when we were married and gold bands were the best we could afford (and gold was cheap then too!). He was really excited to finally get me a diamond, and we were both thrilled with the bigger one.

It's the marriage and the people that are iconic and cherished to us, not the hardware! I am so glad hubby didn't think that gold band was one and done for me for rings! He's not that way at all. He had to really sacrifice for the gold band, but how wonderful he was able to buy something else later on! We're thankful for our blessings.

My mother has had a wedding set, a bigger set, and then a bigger diamond through the years. My dad could care less what she bought or wore as long as she looked nice. Which was why the marriage to that fashionista lasted! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

On 10/20/2014 kaybee said:

Some people are practical and skip the whole 3 month salary tradition and opt for simple wedding bands.

That entire 3 month salary thing is just a bunch of krap the industry made up to make guys buy more expensive rings.