Valued Contributor

New requirements instituted by South Carolina:

Ebola is a highly infectious and deadly virus with a high mortality rate. As of this date, there are several confirmed cases in the United States, and more than one hundred persons in quarantine who are subject to daily monitoring following exposure to infected individuals.

The Board of Health and Environmental Control (Board) and the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) deem it necessary to enhance the ability of DHEC to maintain open and active communications with essential individuals and facilities, to prevent the spread of Ebola, to avoid imminent peril to the public, and to promote early identification and prevent potential for an outbreak. The Board and DHEC find it necessary to issue this Public Health Order for the protection of the public's health and to identify and establish a defined network of emergency communications.

All individuals and entities listed in this Order must monitor and respond to notifications and requests from DHEC via the means described herein within 24 hours or the time frame specified in the communication.

This Public Health Order is issued pursuant to SC Code Sections 44-1-80 and 44-1-140. Actions required for compliance are as follows:

Email Registration for Official Entities

On or before Monday, October 20, 2014, the following categories of individuals and entities must register with the Health Preparedness Network (HPN) by sending an email to the address listed below that applies to you, unless you received this Order directly via email from DHEC, in which case you are already registered. This Network allows you to receive one-way communications of public health importance, including but not limited to information, guidance, and instruction from DHEC regarding the Ebola virus.

Based on the classifications listed below, please locate your area of professional expertise and register through the appropriate email address.

Responder

http://www.scdhec.gov/Health/FHPF/HealthAlertsNotifications/ebola/healthPreparednessNetwork/

Respected Contributor

Re: Is Your State Taking Steps?

Hi Marp,

I don't know what extensive steps are being taken but as a personal observer,

today at the physical therapy center there was a sign along the lines of,

Any patient who has either traveled internationally or been in contact with a person that has will immediately be asked to wear a mask while inside this facility. Not sure how much good that would do as there is a lot of sweating going on inside a physical therapy room. But, I guess those patients would either be seen privately or asked to reschedule.

Honored Contributor

I haven't seen any mention of Washington's state of preparedness but I'm fairly confident the larger hospitals are ready. Marien pointed out that we have a good option in nearby Missoula, Montana, as well.
Honored Contributor

On 10/16/2014 minkbunny said:

Hi Marp,

I don't know what extensive steps are being taken but as a personal observer,

today at the physical therapy center there was a sign along the lines of,

Any patient who has either traveled internationally or been in contact with a person that has will immediately be asked to wear a mask while inside this facility. Not sure how much good that would do as there is a lot of sweating going on inside a physical therapy room. But, I guess those patients would either be seen privately or asked to reschedule.

Hmmm...I was at PT today and there were no signs about travel. I do know all of the equipment is thoroughly wiped down in between clients.
Respected Contributor

I have no idea. People at my job (as I have been working a lot lately, so I haven't been wired to my TV all day long on this) don't seem too concerned about it either.

I mean, we are concerned, but do not believe this is spreading.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

Marp,

Who are they asking to register? That wasn't clear to me. Hospitals? Doctors and nurses?

Super Contributor

I have no idea if my state has taken these steps, but I wouldn't be on the list to get this notification.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Super Contributor

Not that I've heard yet but I've had a busy past few days. I imagine behind the scenes. Not that I've seen in my daily about town activities. I was in the medical district yesterday and everything seemed status quo.

Valued Contributor

The list of those that have to comply with this order is unbelievably extensive. Responders including 911 dispatch centers, providers from hospitals and doctors to veterinarians and athletic trainers, morticians and coroners, schools--just about everyone but the general public (which is invited to sign up for the alerts) is required to comply with this directive. There will be no excuses for not being informed or prepared. The list is ON THIS PAGE: http://www.scdhec.gov/Health/FHPF/HealthAlertsNotifications/ebola/healthPreparednessNetwork/

There is so much more that SC is doing. I know NC is well prepared but have not heard of expansion to the preparedness plans in place. I suspect NC will follow suit.

Respected Contributor

Wow Marp. Sounds like your state is really on the ball.

Where did you find this info? I went to my state's website but nothing jumped out.