Honored Contributor

Now Spanish authorities want to kill this woman's dog. Between torturing bulls and now killing dogs, this is a country I want no part of.

Valued Contributor
Honored Contributor

Studies on dogs transmitting the infection are not as conclusive. During the 2001-2002 Ebola outbreak in Gabon, scientists from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found signs of the virus in around 25% of dogs living in the affected area of the country. Yet none of the animals became symptomatic or died of the disease during the study period.

"Whether or not dogs shed Ebola once their immune systems encounter it remains to be seen."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/08/health/save-excalibur-ebola-dog/

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor
On 10/8/2014 occasional rain said:

Now Spanish authorities want to kill this woman's dog. Between torturing bulls and now killing dogs, this is a country I want no part of.

IMO it would have been a good idea to include in your post why they wanted to put the dog down. It's better having all the pertinent information that's out there so far.

Esteemed Contributor

Not to risk any lives, the dog was put down. It's not always easy to make such decisions but then if the dog was sick and a carrier, folks could be infected.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Why not just quarantine the dog. Why not test him for the virus? Well, it's Spain, so no surprise.

Honored Contributor
On 10/8/2014 Love Roses said:

Not to risk any lives, the dog was put down. It's not always easy to make such decisions but then if the dog was sick and a carrier, folks could be infected.

Yes, or other dogs could be infected just from playing together.

Of course, this depends on whether the dog had the virus, which means testing and isolation. I don't know if they tried any of that, it sounds as if they erred on the side of caution.

Honored Contributor
On 10/8/2014 occasional rain said:

Why not just quarantine the dog. Why not test him for the virus? Well, it's Spain, so no surprise.

Most places aren't ready to quarantine humans and take care of them, I doubt most places have the technology and capability of doing the same for dogs.

Respected Contributor

This just broke my heart!

Respected Contributor

The dog was tested for ebola?

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____