Super Contributor

Yard Sales/Tag Sales/Garage Sales Help please

I shop flea markets and have gone to some yard sales.......not as many as I want to because I still don't know my way around this town after living here 11 years and it is a small town...........well, I am helping a lady today price for her garage sale and she has never had one and she has some nice things but I don't know what is fair in pricing..........broken needs to be tossed but like pretty pictures would you price $10 and $15 each? I know in yard sales they want the cheapest price and it is better to get it out than to keep it in the garage. So I know that $2 and $3 do good and what would you price candle sticks for that candles set on? Any advice is appreciated. I know clothing does not really sell and that $5 and below is the best for that.........your help is appreciated. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Yard Sales/Tag Sales/Garage Sales Help please

I price based upon the used value (researched online). People love to wheel and deal and very few items sold for what I tagged them for....

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

I found that it didn't make a lot of difference what I marked anything. Even if it was a brand new, $300, item that was priced at $30, some Neanderthal would offer me a dime for it.

Needless to say, I didn't last long with hosting yard/garage sales. Smiley Happy Last time somebody did that I told him 'sure, just a minute while I run over it with my car THEN you can have it for a dime'. ha!

Honored Contributor

Hahaha!
Honored Contributor

Items go cheap unless they are like decent furniture or antiques. Did you have to mention flea markets?

Super Contributor

Honored Contributor

Think of what you would pay for it if you were interested, they add two bucks on to that price.

Really, you can't get rich from a yard sale unless you have really nice things that people are willing to spend the money you want for them.

Worst case scenario, imagine getting $2 for every thing you have. That's what you'll most likely walk away with.

You have to be thick skinned to have a yard sale. I would never do it.

Contributor

On 9/29/2014 missyw1 said:

Items go cheap unless they are like decent furniture or antiques. Did you have to mention flea markets?

I wonder how the flea infestation issue panned out.

Super Contributor

On 9/29/2014 chickenbutt said:

I found that it didn't make a lot of difference what I marked anything. Even if it was a brand new, $300, item that was priced at $30, some Neanderthal would offer me a dime for it.

Needless to say, I didn't last long with hosting yard/garage sales. Smiley Happy Last time somebody did that I told him 'sure, just a minute while I run over it with my car THEN you can have it for a dime'. ha!

This is so funny............I need to laugh today..........I love this post.

Super Contributor

So funny about FLEA markets......well my sweet cousin went back over there yesterday and today and yesterday she shampooed then I told her about Borox on the carpet and so she went over today to vacuum and they were all over her so she called a man that does this for a living and he said he uses four (4) chemicals and that he would put the chemicals on the walls and everywhere........he said the floor would be wet........so she left today spending over $100 to do this herself for three days and now hiring someone. She is getting $1.300 a month and that is a lot for our area so.....she can afford to pay someone.........so she will be back next Thursday or Friday and the man will spray then. They have rented the home.....the person wants it and is understanding knowing the problem will be fixed by the time they move in late October.