Super Contributor

37% spike in electric bills will affect everyone & every product!

37% increase in electric bills will mean not only individuals will be affected, but every product and service, which requires electricity to make or serve, will have to raise their prices!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

News excerpt:

Beginning in November, the typical residential customer, using 500 kilowatt hours per month, will see a monthly bill that is 37 percent – or about $33 – higher than last winter.

A majority of the price hike will be seen in the ‘Supply Services’ section of a customer’s bill.

Honored Contributor

Re: 37% spike in electric bills will affect everyone & every product!

Was this in a local newspaper? What is this source?

Honored Contributor

I had issues with National Grid last winter - a 300% increase in electricity cost in the coldest month of the year. I wasn't the only one - many people contacted officials re: $900/mo. electric bills like I received (my home is heated with hot water - the electric is for the blower only).

They backed down...went back to normal bills the next month.

It looks like they are again ASKING for a 37% increase - not that they have received it.

Once again, every one should contact their officials.

It would be a different story if the company was hurting for cash - their profits are sky high.

Valued Contributor

Flagrantly misleading thread title. This deals with a regional event not national as the title would seem to indicate. Fortunately, not living anywhere near where National Grid services I will not be affected.

Honored Contributor

I agree with terrier - asking for and receiving are not the same thing. It also appears to be one local electric company - not a national thing.

Super Contributor

On 9/25/2014 Marp2 said:

Flagrantly misleading thread title. This deals with a regional event not national as the title would seem to indicate. Fortunately, not living anywhere near where National Grid services I will not be affected.

No, not really. Unless you expect every item you purchase does not go through the area.

And think hard on that one.

Super Contributor

On 9/25/2014 terrier3 said:

I had issues with National Grid last winter - a 300% increase in electricity cost in the coldest month of the year. I wasn't the only one - many people contacted officials re: $900/mo. electric bills like I received (my home is heated with hot water - the electric is for the blower only).

They backed down...went back to normal bills the next month.

It looks like they are again ASKING for a 37% increase - not that they have received it.

Once again, every one should contact their officials.

It would be a different story if the company was hurting for cash - their profits are sky high.

And they are mercilessly cutting off electricity to non payers, it seems. I just read an article on this.

Sickening.

Super Contributor

Northeast OperationsOur Northeast Operations stretch from the suburbs of Boston west to Lake Erie and from the Canadian border south to Rhode Island Sound. We own, maintain and operate a 9,000-mile transmission system serving five states and a service area of 29,000 square miles. We provide transmission services for more than 310 generators, five electric distribution companies, 53 municipal electric companies and interconnect with a dozen other transmission providers. And, we do business daily with two Independent System Operators in New York and New England.

https://www.nationalgridus.com/non_html/a2_map_usa.pdf

Above link is to a map. pdf

Honored Contributor

On 9/25/2014 ical said:

Northeast OperationsOur Northeast Operations stretch from the suburbs of Boston west to Lake Erie and from the Canadian border south to Rhode Island Sound. We own, maintain and operate a 9,000-mile transmission system serving five states and a service area of 29,000 square miles. We provide transmission services for more than 310 generators, five electric distribution companies, 53 municipal electric companies and interconnect with a dozen other transmission providers. And, we do business daily with two Independent System Operators in New York and New England.

It is also the 20th largest company in England on their stock exchange...they have been gobbling up electric companies in the USA.

They are extremely successful and have huge profits.

Honored Contributor

On 9/25/2014 terrier3 said:
On 9/25/2014 ical said:

It is also the 20th largest company in England on their stock exchange...they have been gobbling up electric companies in the USA.

They are extremely successful and have huge profits.

Right now they do not come monthly to read the gas meter here on LI-- they do an estimated bill every other month based on previous usage. It would be nice to know actual cost/usage instead of that estimated bill.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼