Esteemed Contributor

Do you know anyone that does NOT have a computer?

I was wondering if anyone knows someone in this day and age who does NOT have a computer?

I have Q on in the background and a lady called in and ordered a laptop and said its her first computer. She sounded like an older women and she was so sweet.

They were telling her about the techie help she gets free with the computer.

It got me to thinking. I remember many moons ago, when I first got a computer. I didn't even know how to turn it on..lol. Now I can do everything on the computer. (I have a laptop, an iPad and a LePan tablet and my husband has a laptop too).

But I think it can be hard for someone older who never used technology to get used to the computer. Because I happen to have an elderly friend that I know my entire life. Well, she calls me all the time for help with the computer, and I try to help her via the phone or we go over and help.

Sometimes I do get a little frustrated because she calls a lot and its hard to explain on the phone if I cant go over at the moment. AND she has free tech help, but then I feel bad and think hey that was me at one time too! So I always help her.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you know anyone that does NOT have a computer?

Not personally. But I'm sure some of the people I see out and about during my day, don't have them...I live in a community where there are a lot of older people.

Respected Contributor

yes, I know a few.

Valued Contributor

Mr Sylvia' 94 year old aunt
Super Contributor

Yep, I know plenty and a few that are even my age that are pretty computer illiterate BUT some of the folks my age that didn't get computers have me beat in the smart phone department. Their older children got them into cell phones and texting.

The senior building where my late mother lived had many people that didn't have computers.

Super Contributor

My Mom (aged 80), and her brother. My Mom uses ATMs and even the DIY checkout at the supermarket, but she gets her news from the TV/newspaper, and her friends are all local. She writes snail mail to me. She doesn't need online shopping; she has catalogs and a phone, and physical access to every store she could want in her area.

She had a cell phone for a while, but she just never used it and it was a pointless expense so she got rid of it.

Trusted Contributor

We know a couple folks who don't have computers...hard to comprehend life without one!
Honored Contributor

I notice that the hosts are always say during presentations that if you're on hold, please stay on the line ..... and I'm guessing that if they had computers, they'd order on qvc.com, right? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I find it strange to think people wait on hold for someone to take their order by phone! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Super Contributor

Yes, I have a friend who is a young 70. I have told her time and again that I think she would really enjoy it. She likes to follow the news, and I've told her she could look up all kinds of things. And she can shop online, get recipes, etc.

I've even told her to try an ipad--she wouldn't even need wifi (which I'm sure her apartment has) if she wanted to go to a public place. She would be a fast learner, I think.

Valued Contributor

Yes, my best friend! She also doesn't have a cell phone and since we now live in different states, I send her postcards and call her on her landline. She been saying for a couple of years that she wants to get a computer, but she hasn't taken time to investigate what she might want.

It's fine with me. I like the fun of dropping a quick note via postcard, she likes getting them and we enjoy our chats on the phone so whatever happens is good with me. I miss our adventures together and our Saturday Starbucks and a computer can't solve thatSmile