Super Contributor

An embarrassing situation today

I thought I had a small rock chip on my front windshield. My husband even saw it and also thought that was what it was...called Safelite. The person came out to fix the chip......it was not a chip at all.....It was clear tree sap that looked just like a chip! OMG! I was so embarrassed! The gal that came to fix it said it actually happens all the time! People think a chip is on their windshield, turns out to be tree sap. I will never do that again.....tree sap....could not believe it. They did not charge me anything....she gave me a free spray can of window cleaner. And a free auto air freshener....she was SO NICE about it. SafeLite Rocks!
Respected Contributor

Re: An embarrassing situation today

she sounds very nice.............and like the lady said, it happens all the time, don't be embarrassed by it..................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

Safelite replaced my back window a few months ago and then it rained. There appeared this peculiar fog pattern that persisted 3 days later when the temps were back at 100 degrees and the inside of my car around 130 when parked outside. I have no idea what it was or how it originated but called Safelite and told them to replace the glass. They arrived with a different manufacturer thinking maybe that one was defective. The tech then stated that the mystery fog that persisted 3 days after it rained could be removed from the inside of my car. I was stunned and told him that it was not my endeavor in life to crawl onto the back seat of my car after each rain to wipe off mysterious fog from the window replacement. The old window that came from the factory never produced odd fog pattern after it rained.

Respected Contributor

Hi, gazelle77. The SafeLite person sounds really nice.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Esteemed Contributor

You didn't at least tip her for coming out? Did you ever run your finger over the ""chip"" before you called?
Keepin' it real.
Super Contributor

On 9/18/2014 esmerelda said: You didn't at least tip her for coming out? Did you ever run your finger over the "chip" before you called?
I had no cash on me at all.....yes, I felt the "chip" and it even felt like a real chip....really strange!
Honored Contributor

My insurance company uses Safelite for windshield chips. I once had to have the same guy come to my house two weeks in a row....he was very efficient.

I think the insurance companies pay them well. I wouldn't consider tipping them, even if the call isn't needed. They surely get some kind of reimbursement just for going on site.

Super Contributor

Safelite's TV commercials stress that it's covered by your insurance and there's no need to have cash to pay (or tip) the technician.

The Safelite guy who fixed my chip (mine was real Smile) was excellent, I'd definitely choose them again.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/18/2014 september said:

My insurance company uses Safelite for windshield chips. I once had to have the same guy come to my house two weeks in a row....he was very efficient.

I think the insurance companies pay them well. I wouldn't consider tipping them, even if the call isn't needed. They surely get some kind of reimbursement just for going on site.

Who do you think would reimburse them for a wild goose chase?
Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I think the insurance company pays the repair person for making the call. If no repair is needed (and I'm sure this happens), then the fee for a service call comes into play.

If I hire someone to come to my home because my washer isn't working...and that person finds that it isn't plugged in...a fee is still charged. It's a minimal fee, but someone still has to pay for this person's time.

So..with Safelite...I'll bet the insurance company will still make some type of payment, and likely be happy that it's a smaller one than expected.