Honored Contributor

Who is getting ready to start thinking of going south? We are leaving in 3 weeks for our home in SW Florida. I can't wait to feel the sun and see the Gulf of Mexico. I love to go to McDonalds and get breakfast then go and sit at the beach watching the ocean and eat breakfast and drink coffee. After 5 months living in a camper, nice as it is, I am always ready to go to my comfortable house. As soon as I get home I hug all my friends I missed - my washer & dryer , my dishwasher , my disposal and my bathtub.

Its funny, when we are here we really miss the ocean and when we are in fl we really miss the beautiful mountains.When we are down south we do really miss the friendly Pittsburgh people too.

Valued Contributor
I hope you have a wonderful time in Fla., HH! My husband and I will rent a place for a month next year. This winter I can't bear to leave our little grandchildren....enjoy each sunny, new day!
Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like you have the best of both worlds. When we go on vacation even for a week, I am so ready to go home. Have a safe trip home and enjoy the sunshine !

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

'Just dawned on me'............ The Gulf of Mexico is huge! Explaining: Coincidence that we were just that morning talking about gulfs........were wondering where exactly Cabo San Lucas is, so we searched it, and found Gulf of California (AKA Sea of Cortez) and Baja Peninsula where Cabo is located on the very end/tip.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

It is 46 degrees here right now - I am more than ready to go home. Unfortunately DH wants to stay a while longer.He would stay until we were frozen solid but , thank goodness, the campground closes mid October.

Honored Contributor
On 9/18/2014 ROMARY said:

'Just dawned on me'............ The Gulf of Mexico is huge!

Not as big as my Atlantic!

We are heading south in about 2 weeks. We're sprucing up our beach rental up north.

DH had to go to on a quick business trip. So I've been doing most of the work myself. I had some contractors here today helping.

It's getting chilly although the water is still warm in the mid 70's. The air temps aren't much higher.

I can't wait to get home either. It takes us about 8 hours and I could drive straight through without stopping!

I miss my grandkids and our dog didn't come with us as she's too old to do these long car trips. I'm sad because she may never see this place again.

So we'll close this place up and head back down to our little piece of heaven and before you know it, it'll be Christmas again!

Super Contributor

Next year at just this time I want to be on the road to California. DH retires in August. I get so very sick every fall here in Wisconsin and I haven't been home in 15 years and I just can't wait.

Honored Contributor

You live as my grandparents and several of my great aunts and uncles did. Part of the year in Ohio (up north anywhere qualifies!) and part in Florida (Ft. Myers). They loved the life.

When I was a kid, I just didn't get it. Why would anyone not want to be where they could sled ride and build snowmen? Now I get it. I can see me living this way someday, but I'm not sure we will ever be able to afford it. We may have to choose one location or the other, rather than enjoy both ways of life. It always seems "new" because you are gone from one place or the other just long enough to miss it, the people, and the routine you have at each. Safe travels back down south.

Honored Contributor
On 9/18/2014 Sawn said: I hope you have a wonderful time in Fla., HH! My husband and I will rent a place for a month next year. This winter I can't bear to leave our little grandchildren....enjoy each sunny, new day!

Thank you. We live in a community that is primarily a beach community. Used to get a lot of vacationers but has in the last about 20 years turned into a retirement destination. Basically, the only "business" in town is serving the needs of retirees, esp. between Oct and May. Since we are retired we enjoy this very much. The growth in the past few years of baby - boomer retirees has been amazing so the vast majority of the people in our town are in our age range.

Honored Contributor
On 9/18/2014 twopeas said:

It sounds like you have the best of both worlds. When we go on vacation even for a week, I am so ready to go home. Have a safe trip home and enjoy the sunshine !

This snowbirding takes some getting used to. the first couple years I longed to be home the entire time we were in Pa. So last year we sold our older 5th wheel camper and bought a much roomier 44ft trailer. It is called a destination trailer because you don't move it - it is designed to stay in one place. It is much more comfortable and actually feels like a one bedroom apartment.Being much more comfortable I find i am much happier to be here for 5 months. I chose not to have a washer/dryer in the camper because they take up a huge chunk of storage but now I wish i had gotten them. I have to go to a laundromat to do the laundry and it has gotten so rough there that DH has to stay with me now. People come in wearing guns and drunks and fighting etc. We have had to call the police already. The place is open 24 hr a day now and I think some people sleep in there.