Respected Contributor

Congress recently passed the Sunscreen Innovation Act

Because the sunscreens in the U.S. are inferior to those sold in Europe and other countries and have not been updated since 2002. In fact, the report below states the FDA has not approved anything new for 15 years. That is all going to change thank goodness.

http://racked.com/archives/2014/07/16/spf-sunscreen-fda-skin-cancer-sun-lotion-sunscreen-innovation-...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunscreen_Innovation_Act_%28H.R._4250;_113th_Congress%29

Trusted Contributor

Re: Congress recently passed the Sunscreen Innovation Act

European sunscreens aren't really that much better, and they ALL have to be reapplied throughout the day. In this area though the FDA is sluggish, but they've been busy approving drugs that are really quite evil with known records of causing organ failure, heart attacks, cancer and premature death.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Respected Contributor

6 Well-Reviewed International Sunscreens

vichy2.jpg Vichy, made in France. Sells for around $23 for a bottle of 1.7 ounces. "Not sticky or greasy. Absorbs into skin, doesn't leave chalky residue."

biore.jpgBiore Sarasara, made in Japan. Sells for around $11 for a bottle of 1.7 ounces. "No nasty sunscreen smell, greasiness or white-cast. Applies like a skin moisturizer."

bluelizard.jpgBlue Lizard, made in Australia. Sells for around $13 for a bottle of 3 ounces. "As an avid golfer, I am on the course for 5 straight hours and have never needed to reapply."

allie.jpegKanebo Allie, made in Japan. Sells for around $39 for a bottle of 3 ounces. "Lightweight, easy to apply. Doesn't leave a white sheen."

pizbuin.jpgPiz Buin, made in Switzerland. Sells for around $13 for a bottle of 6 ounces. "Offers all-day protection, even after dips in the ocean. Doesn't sting eyes and has a very pleasant scent."

larochesquare.jpg La Roche Posay, made in France. Sells for around $25 for a bottle of 1.7 ounces. "Bottle is small but a little goes a long way so it is also a great value. Worth every penny."

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know about sunscreens....I just find it ironically funny that ILikeShade is posting about Sunscreen!

Respected Contributor

On 9/18/2014 kittymomNC said:

I don't know about sunscreens....I just find it ironically funny that ILikeShade is posting about Sunscreen!

I have been buying many different types of sunscreens and it's been challenging every summer trying to find one that's best. I can't even walk from my car to the grocery store without getting brown....maybe I would have liked that when I was a kid but I don't like it now.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/18/2014 ILikeShade said:

I don't know about sunscreens....I just find it ironically funny that <em>ILikeShade</em> is posting about Sunscreen! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.laugh}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I have been buying many different types of sunscreens and it's been challenging every summer trying to find one that's best. I can't even walk from my car to the grocery store without getting brown....maybe I would have liked that when I was a kid but I don't like it now.

ILikeShade, I certainly did not mean any disrespect to you at all, and I apologize if you took it that way. I know that sunscreen is a serious subject for all of us....I just noticed your nic and thought it was ironic. There have been so many sad and upsetting threads on here lately that I didn't think a little humor would hurt. I'm truly sorry if it offended you. I don't ever like thinking that I've hurt someone's feelings....{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Respected Contributor

I don't know about sunscreens....I just find it ironically funny that <em>ILikeShade</em> is posting about Sunscreen! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.laugh}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

ILikeShade, I certainly did not mean any disrespect to you at all, and I apologize if you took it that way. I know that sunscreen is a serious subject for all of us....I just noticed your nic and thought it was ironic. There have been so many sad and upsetting threads on here lately that I didn't think a little humor would hurt. I'm truly sorry if it offended you. I don't ever like thinking that I've hurt someone's feelings....{#emotions_dlg.crying}

No offense taken. It's this darn Vegas sun I'm frustrated with. In fact, I had a major setback yesterday because a very important call came into my cell phone but the reception was poor and I had to step outside. Aaaargh, is all I can say.

Esteemed Contributor

No offense taken. It's this darn Vegas sun I'm frustrated with. In fact, I had a major setback yesterday because a very important call came into my cell phone but the reception was poor and I had to step outside. Aaaargh, is all I can say.

Thank you...I know it may sound strange but I wish I could get brown. Even when I spend some time out in the yard on a sunny day, I don't ever seem to get any color. (I can't spend much time in the sun--I have rosacea and it's a no-no.) I hate hot weather and can't wait for winter -- but we have high humidity which is what makes it so miserable.

Honored Contributor

I know there's a lot of harmful ingredients even in baby sunblocks. They need to look into what works and what doesn't cause more harm.

I drive myself crazy trying to find safe effective sunblocks for me and my family. It's a freaking full time job.

I have a specific one for my face, however it's tinted, so I use Devita Solar block on my body. I never get burned with it on. I've even used it on my face when I don't want the tinted one on.

Honored Contributor

From what people have told me, Badger (or something similar) is supposed to be good. Other friends use various special European/other brands that they directly special order. They insist (to me) that there are stricter regulations re: safety, etc. across the pond. I've just been using Up&Up Sport Unscented (Target), which I love. No scent, very smooth, non greasy, etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).