Valued Contributor

(HealthDay News) -- One in five American men admits to using violence against his spouse or partner, a new survey shows.

A nationally representative study from the University of Michigan revealed that such violence is more prevalent than diabetes. This violence includes pushing and shoving, grabbing, throwing objects, slapping and hitting, kicking, biting, choking, burning or threatening their partner with a weapon, the researchers said.

Although abuse by high-profile professional athletes has recently made headlines, the researchers said their findings suggest intimate partner violence affects anyone.

"When people think of men who abuse their partners, they often think of violent people who they have never come across, or people they have only heard about in the news," study author Dr. Vijay Singh, a clinical lecturer in the departments of emergency medicine and family medicine at the University of Michigan Medical School, said in a university news release.

"However, our study showed one out of every five men in the U.S. reported physical violence toward an intimate partner," Singh said. "It's likely that we've all met these men in our daily environment. This is an issue that cuts across all communities, regardless of race, income or any other demographics."

More (worth reading): http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/1-in-5-us-men-admits-to-violence-against-spouse-partner...

Honored Contributor

Re: Can It Really Be 1 in 5?

I would tend to believe it.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

I don't believe it. Some men are gay and aren't interested in females so that rules out their input. Some women aren't interested in men.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Valued Contributor

On 9/17/2014 Love Roses said:

I don't believe it. Some men are gay and aren't interested in females so that rules out their input. Some women aren't interested in men.

Do these disinterested people live alone in some isolated place where they have no spouse or partner?

Honored Contributor

I believe it. I've known two of them who have been physical with their girlfriends.
Honored Contributor

I wonder what the statistics are of women hitting their spouse/partner?

Think it's more or less?

Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 Lucky Charm said:

I wonder what the statistics are of women hitting their spouse/partner?

Think it's more or less?

Hitting? Less. Verbal abuse? More. (Just guessing)
Honored Contributor

As a counselor, I not only believe it...it's getting worse.

Financial problems, feeling "out of control", low self esteem, work issues - as stress levels rise, so does violence against women & children.

Respected Contributor

Edited..... See post 14.

Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 SoftRaindrops said:

There were only 520 men that were asked this question. I think you can prove just about anything if you set out to.

I don't believe that 1 in 5 men abuse women, no matter what some study of 520 men claims.

There have been MANY studies and most have the same numbers of higher.

Remember too, these are men who ADMIT to abuse...how many more wouldn't answer truthfully???

I heard a 911 tape yesterday...a woman being beaten in a hotel. Her abuser was a federal judge!!! It's in all age levels, incomes, educations, ethnic backgrounds too.