Esteemed Contributor

Printer Ink -- Is there a Cheaper Way?

I have an Epson XP400 and I pay a king's ransom for Epson ink cartridges from Staples. Is there a cheaper way to go? Do any of you have experience with buying cut-rate ink like they advertise?

It seems like these Epson cartridges run out of ink every other week, and I don't think I use the printer all that much.

Does anybody have any tips on how to save ink?

I just hate spending so much money for INK!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Re: Printer Ink -- Is there a Cheaper Way?

Can you take it somewhere to get refilled? I think Costco even does it.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

There's a company where you can exchange and/or refill your cartridges. I'll find the name and post back. Saw it on ""Deals"" (LWN).

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

There's a myriad of opinions on this, of course. But I never use anything but OEM ink cartridges. I've known several people who ruined their printers with generic or refilled cartridges.

I wonder if it might be less expensive to just get a laser printer, instead of an inkjet. I've heard that it's more practical and laser printers don't cost anywhere near as much as they used to. Every now and then I see a nice-looking one in Amazon Gold Box.

Honored Contributor

i stick with my printers recommended ink......tried doing the knock offs and refills and every time i have tried it i have messed up the computer.....i finally said no more. i just buy the ink when i can find discount coupons to use at office depot or quill or staples.

buying the ink is almost as expensive as getting an entire new printer!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 chickenbutt said:

There's a myriad of opinions on this, of course. But I never use anything but OEM ink cartridges. I've known several people who ruined their printers with generic or refilled cartridges.

I wonder if it might be less expensive to just get a laser printer, instead of an inkjet. I've heard that it's more practical and laser printers don't cost anywhere near as much as they used to. Every now and then I see a nice-looking one in Amazon Gold Box.

yup......thats ME! {#emotions_dlg.angry}

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

Go to Amazon and search for you kind. I get a generic of ink for my Epson printer. I pay $10 for 2 blacks, 1 cyan, 1 yellow & 1 blue. I have Epson 520. I did a search and yours is available as well. Just make sure in the description it shows your model to make sure you get the correct ones. I've been getting from Amazon for a few years, and I'm pleased with the product. HTH
Super Contributor

i have an HP printer that is over 12 years old and i NEVER buy HP OEM ink! i did that for about 3 years and spending $200 a month on ink alone was just crazy! the discount/refilled ink has never been been a problem for me in the 9 years i have been using it and i will continue to do so until i upgrade my printer for my office next year.

Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 JJsMom said:

Can you take it somewhere to get refilled? I think Costco even does it.

I get my ink cartridges refilled at Costco while I shop. Never a problem using them in my 4-year-old Canon printer.

Honored Contributor

I'm using generic ink on my Epson XP310 and it works great. I've had no problems with it. Before I bought a new printer I first looked for well reviewed generic ink and then bought a printer that uses it.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!