Super Contributor

if you sale on Ebay - big change!

PayPal Dispute Policy extended to 180 days:

Effective Date: November 18, 2014

Dispute Filing Window

We’re increasing the time for buyers to file a merchandise dispute (Item Not Received and Significantly Not as Described) from 45 days to 180 days. All references in the User Agreement to “Opening a Dispute within 45 days” have been updated to reflect “Opening a Dispute within 180 days.” The Sections these changes appear include the Introduction, 3.15, 13.2 and 13.5.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...-policies-full

Respected Contributor

Re: if you sale on Ebay - big change!

Hmmm. 45 seems too short and 180 seems too long?

Respected Contributor

On 9/17/2014 scotttie said:

Hmmm. 45 seems too short and 180 seems too long?

I agree!

Super Contributor

i have never sold - or wanted to sell anything on ebay.

i don't need 6 months to decide if i like something i have bought! or even 45 days. i shop for designer handbags mostly and as soon as i recieve it i KNOW if it is staying or going back.

Super Contributor

That is ridiculous!

Why even bother having the setting on the page for the eBay item, Buyer must notify seller within "blank" days . . . I set mine to 14.

45 is plenty.

Heck 14 is plenty.

Around 180 days they could have transferred all their money to their bank account, made up a new ID and moved on . . . STUPID policy.

Respected Contributor

Ebay is more friendly to buyers than it is to sellers. This is just one more example of that fact.

Respected Contributor

On 9/17/2014 shesallthat said:

i have never sold - or wanted to sell anything on ebay.

i don't need 6 months to decide if i like something i have bought! or even 45 days. i shop for designer handbags mostly and as soon as i recieve it i KNOW if it is staying or going back.

I think they extended it because there are times someone finds out a few weeks later that the jewelry they bought was not authentic. I heard of someone who found out her Rolex watch was a dupe. It was beyond the return policy. Now buyers have more protection.

Super Contributor

Even credit card companies don't have a dispute window open for that length of time.

I bet PayPal will get many complaints from sellers over this. Glad I don't have to make a living or part-time living via eBay and PayPal. I just sell a little for fun and to get rid of some stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

My son sells on eBay and he has enough problems with people saying something is "not as described", when it is so obvious in both his pictures and his description (which they sometimes apparently don't bother reading or looking at, or they can't comprehend). When a buyer tells him that, they are requested to send pictures, and prove what they're saying. Anything can happen to a sold item in 180 days....then how could it be determined if it was like that when they received it, or it happened during that 6 months? In my opinion, that's totally ridiculous. Just another way of making it harder and harder to sell on eBay! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the info and I agree that is too long! But I am not concerned because my husband sells things on ebay from time to time, and has never had one problem or complaint from anyone in 10 years. (He has 100% feedback). But I can tell you that my husband sells things at a reasonable price AND "actual" shipping costs. (Because we hate how some sellers on ebay hang buyers with outrageous shipping costs).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles