Regular Contributor
Hometown Parades: We came home this weekend our hometown has a weekend celebration every year we never miss it. It ends with the parade. I hear the high school bands start playing , the floats, etc. it just brings back tons of memories. Maybe it's a small town thing but there's nothing like it..............................Do you like Hometown Parades? Any good memories
Honored Contributor

i was a majorette in HS - in Pittsburgh where you can't walk 10 ft before you are walking uphill. I marched up and down the Pittsburgh mountains for many miles in parades and came home many a holiday too tired to enjoy the remainder of the day. That kinda took away the joy of parades for me. On the upside - I am 65 years old and have never had any heart problems - I attribute that at least in part to spending my youth marching up & down the mountainous terrain here.

Super Contributor

I love them! They are part of Americana. Especially if it's a town small enough that you know just about everybody.

Respected Contributor
Our town has a July 4th parade every year. Anyone in town can march in it. Just line up at the right time. It's cute! People march with their dogs, bring candy to toss to the kids, etc. Smiley Happy Of course, the usual marchers are there too...the hs band, mayor, Kiwanis, Rotary, etc etc.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor
MK------ sounds like my very tiny town. It brings in many people from miles around. It's always fun and I think it's like Mayberry.
Respected Contributor
On 9/14/2014 MOONRISER said: MK------ sounds like my very tiny town. It brings in many people from miles around. It's always fun and I think it's like Mayberry.
Yes, it's a small town, and very nice, with all the quirkiness of a small town, too. Lol
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

There is a parade July 24th at a small town near here. It is the perfect hometown parade, this year they estimated a little over ten thousand people were there to watch it. What is nice is that it winds through the town and there is a big shady park to watch under the trees, also families have big reunions that day and sit in their front yards under the trees.

Baked goods sale early in the morning that sells out quickly.

In the afternoon, lots of activities in another park, wall climbing etc. So this parade is really part of a big celebration. So many people it took an hour to get out of it.

Very fun, and then BBQ at DD's.Smile

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Trusted Contributor
Our small(er) town has the BEST Veterans Day parade! We are adjacent to an Army Post, and a lot of military retirees live on the area.
Honored Contributor

I live one block away from the St. Patrick's Day Parade. My street is the first one to the north where people can park.

I HATE IT!!!!!

It's nothing but a bunch of drunk out of control grown ups.

Honored Contributor

Being a band member, I always had to march in the Memorial Day parade. So often, it was hot and humid which was miserable because we had uniforms that I swear must have been made out of wool.