Valued Contributor

Ok...so I was very curious about why we are seeing all these catheter ads on TV all of a sudden. I don't know anyone who uses or used a catheter at home on a daily basis. But I am assuming there must be a lot of people who do. So I Goggled it. We are seeing them because Medicare used to allow only 24 catheters a month to Medicare patients who have a chronic condition and need to use them to go to the bathroom. That is less than one a day. Apparently many who use them were washing and reusing them, causing infection and a return to the hospital for treatment. That just changed from 24 to 200! No need to reuse them. So the companies who make them want you to know about all of the choices out there. Basically it is sort of a public service announcement. Question answered {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

I feel so bad that catheter patients are allowed only so many. For heaven's sake, if a person needs to use a catheter, the last thing he/she needs is a urinary tract infection.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

My Dad was a paraplegic who had to be cathed every 3 hours around the clock to prevent incontinence which would lead to skin problems. He had medicare and a supplement and all of his 8 catheters a day were paid for in total - he never reused any - we never got a bill for any.And he died in 1992. So someone was paying for them, either medicare or blue cross.

Honored Contributor

Nice that they are available free of charge. Much needed for many folks.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor
On 9/14/2014 happy housewife said:

My Dad was a paraplegic who had to be cathed every 3 hours around the clock to prevent incontinence which would lead to skin problems. He had medicare and a supplement and all of his 8 catheters a day were paid for in total - he never reused any - we never got a bill for any.And he died in 1992. So someone was paying for them, either medicare or blue cross.

Yes...based upon the article I read regarding Medicare patients, previously, Medicare covered 24 a month, then your father's secondary (Blue Cross) paid for the rest. Many people don't have a secondary and rely on Medicare alone. This jump from 24 to 200 a month is a great help to them.

Super Contributor
You would be horrified if you knew what medical supplies are washed and re-washed in homecare. The cost of basic supplies and what insurance will not pay for. One ex. Is the cather.
Honored Contributor

I'm going to file that under ""Need to Know in about 30 Years"".

Honored Contributor
Seems to me like I've been seeing those ads for a long time.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor
For years I saw those commercials...was clueless as to what it was. Just googled it. Ok now I get it....
Valued Contributor

I hate all these ads.