Honored Contributor

When is it going to show up at the grocery store?

This PM on the Bloomberg business report they said that the cost of commodities like rice, wheat, corn and soy are dropping very low, and have been dropping all year long. So when are we going to see that at the grocery store? The costs of feed for animals is about 1/3 what it was - when are we going to see that at the grocery store? The reason for the drop? The huge rise in the crop yield due to near perfect weather all through the midwest this year, and last.

Honored Contributor

Re: When is it going to show up at the grocery store?

Unfortunately, husbandry is an extremely expensive profession...and you will be charged handsomely for the end product.

Animals aren't cheap to raise, slaughter & manufacture. Takes a lot of feed AND water in these drought-stricken areas. Also price of fuel. Feed is a small factor in the big picture.

Honored Contributor

Huge droughts in California will adversely affect food prices.
Super Contributor

S-L-O-W-L-Y . . . IF EVER . . . IF anything like gasoline prices which can rise faster than you can say don't ya do it . . . due to turmoil in the oil fields in the ME or a hurricane on the Gulf Coast heading towards the refineries . . . and then the prices S-L-O-W-L-Y go back down once the crisis has passed.

I used to call Costco my ""200.00 store"" as I could never get out of there for less than that . . . and I shopped there once or twice a week . . . now they are my 300.00 store . . . and cruising quickly towards 400.00 but now it is only once a week or alternating with the Sam's Club depending on my list that week.

Super Contributor

It doesn't matter what the excuse they use for rising prices....especially groceries. Ever seen OJ go DOWN after a good year? Nope. Up is UP forever.

I get really annoyed when they give the weekly average price for gasoline and say how much it's gone DOWN. It went up here in the spring and hasn't moved a penny.

Honored Contributor

On 9/11/2014 Qwackertoo said:

S-L-O-W-L-Y . . . IF EVER . . . IF anything like gasoline prices which can rise faster than you can say don't ya do it . . . due to turmoil in the oil fields in the ME or a hurricane on the Gulf Coast heading towards the refineries . . . and then the prices S-L-O-W-L-Y go back down once the crisis has passed.

I used to call Costco my "200.00 store" as I could never get out of there for less than that . . . and I shopped there once or twice a week . . . now they are my 300.00 store . . . and cruising quickly towards 400.00 but now it is only once a week or alternating with the Sam's Club depending on my list that week.

Boy, do you speak the truth about Costco. I spend an incredible amount there to save money. I may have to rethink my strategy -- lol. We got out for $185 today but there's only the two of us.
Super Contributor

I don't think you're going to see any real change for a long time. If it ever comes.

Our grocery bill keeps going up and the packaging keeps getting smaller.

Honored Contributor

On 9/11/2014 Qwackertoo said:

I used to call Costco my ""200.00 store"" as I could never get out of there for less than that . . . and I shopped there once or twice a week . . . now they are my 300.00 store . . . and cruising quickly towards 400.00 but now it is only once a week or alternating with the Sam's Club depending on my list that week.

I completely agree. They raise prices on the slightest whim and then never want to bring them back down when whatever the crisis is ends.

Honored Contributor

On 9/11/2014 sidsmom said:

Unfortunately, husbandry is an extremely expensive profession...and you will be charged handsomely for the end product.

Animals aren't cheap to raise, slaughter & manufacture. Takes a lot of feed AND water in these drought-stricken areas. Also price of fuel. Feed is a small factor in the big picture.

There isn't a drought in the entire country. Just one area.

A few days ago i was getting chastised for washing the car - we have more water here than we can ever use. It rains almost every day. It rained all last night and all day today.

Respected Contributor

California is the largest food and agricultural producer for the United States.