Valued Contributor
have you ever used one?
Honored Contributor

I have consigned furniture but not clothes. When I've looked to buy clothes, I've thought the prices were too high.

Esteemed Contributor
Yes, I have been taking my clothes, purses and costume jewelry to consignment shops for years. Some have worked out well and some have been total waste of my time.
Honored Contributor
I consigned some Waterford crystal and it sold.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Used two different ones years apart, both cheated me.

The last one, can't find some items and was told people walk off with them or they break. The ones I can't find are to big to walk off with or break. Can't do anything about them. They will be out of business by this time next year.

Some of my tags were not on the item I did find and some on someone else's items.

Valued Contributor
I have a coat that I would like to take----I usually give things to ARC and good, warm women's things to the soup kitchen where they have a large facility for infants, kids, and men and women---this coat isn't suitable for that--
Valued Contributor
On 9/2/2014 qvcaddition said:

Used two different ones years apart, both cheated me.

The last one, can't find some items and was told people walk off with them or they break. The ones I can't find are to big to walk off with or break. Can't do anything about them. They will be out of business by this time next year.

Some of my tags were not on the item I did find and some on someone else's items.

if someone wants a designer coat, then, oh well
Honored Contributor

I did but it was too much trouble for me. You were only allowed to bring 10 items per week. They had to be less than 3 years old and name brands. They had to be clean and on hangers. The split was 50-50 if they sold within the first week. 40-60, 30-70 and finally 20-80. After 30 days either you picked up your clothes or they became the property of the consignment shop. My friends and I found nothing sold in the first 2 weeks. We felt most things only appeared on the floor, weeks 3 & 4.

I decided it was easier to donate than to consign.

Trusted Contributor

Hubby and I are "junkers". Our favorite hobby is combing through antique stores, flea markets, consignment shops.....and just plain junk stores. We have a great time together and have found some real treasures. We were "shabby chic" long before there was a name for it. We also sell our discarded stuff in a consignment shop.

As far as clothes go, we've been on Weight Watchers for a year, now. Hubby has lost 80 pounds and I've lost 40. We started buying a lot of our clothes in consignment shops because we were losing weight so quickly that it was insane to invest a lot of money in our clothing. What fit one week would be way too big the next.

We're slowing down, now. He is at his goal weight and I am near mine. We still browse the consignment shops, though, because we have found some really beautiful things.

Honored Contributor

i have done pop up consignments where you label your own clothes, price them, and then deliver them to the pop up shop.....they are usually 4 days and you have the option on having your items priced half price on the last day......for this type i have consigned clothing, shoes, household items, books, and costume jewelry.

i have also done regular consignments in stores..... clothing and household items.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein