Esteemed Contributor

A man was riding his mower (it's how he gets around...that or his moped) and had his dog (a beautiful German shepherd) on a lead with him. The blade was not running. A neighbor saw him and called "the authorities."

The dog was taken. The man was told he has to go to court and pay to get it back. Someone...I don't know who it was...told him of another case where a man had to go to court and paid something like $700 to get his dog back.

This man very likely will not go to court to get his dog back because he doesn't have $700 (or anything close to it).

And this beautiful, gentle animal will be destroyed.

So...in your opinion, was the neighbor a samaritan or a busybody?

Keepin' it real.
Valued Contributor
A HUGE NOSEYBODY
Super Contributor
The neighbor probably doesn't like dogs and this was a way to get rid of it. I would hope that someone could start a fund raiser so he could get the dog back.
Honored Contributor

I hope the man has the opportunity to tell his side of the story with much detail. If the dog was not in imminent danger (if in fact mower blade was off) it would appear he may have the dog returned without monetary payment. Will be interesting to follow this story.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

If the blade was turned off, I don't see how this is any different than anyone who uses a motorized vehicle to "walk" the dog. And where I live, I see lots of seniors with scooters doing this.

Valued Contributor

Was the man riding his mower on the street? Was the dog in any way able to get injured by the mower--get in front, pulled along, get hit by the deck or by traffic? Had the man been warned about this before? Why did the neighbor feel it necessary to call the police? What were the charges that caused the dog to be seized? Why would the dog be destroyed if it is healthy and has not been declared vicious?

As the OP stands there is not enough information to make a valid decision. With the answers to my questions I might be able to form an opinion.

Honored Contributor

I hate when I see people riding bikes and running their dogs at the same time. The fat butts are sitting on a bike seat and the animal is running AND trying to stay away from bike wheels (SPOKES).

You want to WALK your dog, WALK with it.

You want to RUN your dog, RUN with it.

You want to repeatedly throw tennis balls into the waves for your dog to retreat it, jump in every other time too with your clothes on.

Esteemed Contributor
On 9/1/2014 Marp2 said:

Was the man riding his mower on the street? Was the dog in any way able to get injured by the mower--get in front, pulled along, get hit by the deck or by traffic? Had the man been warned about this before? Why did the neighbor feel it necessary to call the police? What were the charges that caused the dog to be seized? Why would the dog be destroyed if it is healthy and has not been declared vicious?

As the OP stands there is not enough information to make a valid decision. With the answers to my questions I might be able to form an opinion.

I don't know the answers to all of your questions.

The last one...why would it be destroyed if it's healthy and not declared vicious...if he doesn't go to court, what would they do with it? Do you think the court would look for a home for it? They already have a home for animals who don't otherwise have one. It's called animal control and the length of stay is a week or two.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor
On 9/1/2014 Lucky Charm said:

I hate when I see people riding bikes and running their dogs at the same time. The fat butts are sitting on a bike seat and the animal is running AND trying to stay away from bike wheels (SPOKES).

You want to WALK your dog, WALK with it.

You want to RUN your dog, RUN with it.

You want to repeatedly throw tennis balls into the waves for your dog to retreat it, jump in every other time too with your clothes on.

And if a person isn't able to keep up with their dog on foot, don't bother taking it out...period. Is that what you're saying?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor
I agree with Marp that more info is needed. Maybe the dog's owner has been negligent with the dog before so the neighbor didn't want to take any chances.