Trusted Contributor

I recently posted about my happy experience,trying a Glazed Doughnut Cheeseburger, at our recent, Pig OUt In The Park Event (Yummy, honest!)

Today, I had to work for awhile this morning. The Dietary Department was closed, but, we had a few stat Dietary consults, and I was on call.

I was talking to a co-worker, before I left, she was asking if I had gone to POINTP, and I said I had and told her what I tried.

She's about my age (41) and told me that she has Never, not even Once, had Any Fair Food. Growing up, she said her Parents didn't allow it. If they went to the fair, they brought their own snacks, or ate before or after. She said part of it was that, it's expensive to take 5 kids and 2 adults and eat, but, mainly, her Parent's felt the food was unhealthy, and since they weren't going to be allowed to eat like that, they thought it was a bad idea to even let them try the stuff??

As an adult, she said she also, never, allowed her one child, a Daughter, who is now 20, to eat Fair Food. One of the Cardiologists, who we were doing a consult for, was in the office chatting, and he said that, he also, was not allowed to eat any of the food at the Fair's.

I had no idea there were so many wi ck ed Parents {#emotions_dlg.lol}We didn't get to stuff ourselves, but, we always got a favorite treat or two. It didn't hurt us and I don't think we had ideas that we were going to get Elephant Ears and Corn Dogs for dinner, at home. We knew it was a fun, special event.

Isn't eating, part of the fun of going to the Fair? Does anybody really develop bad eating habits, by muching on a Caramel Apple once a year??

Helping people learn to manage their diets and learn healthy eating, is my career, but, it's not an obsession. I truly believe that balance and moderation, work well for most healthy people.

So, has anybody never had the joy of decadently bad Fair Food? And let's be honest, would the Broccoli Booth be nearly as much fun?

Honored Contributor

They serve ""decadently"" tasty cream puffs at the Wisconsin State Fair. I last had one when I was 14 years old (the Stone Ages).

Super Contributor
I do think it depends on your generations...I was born in 1955... There were no food restrictions growing up. Most people just ATE and enjoyed food. Food was not good or bad. But over the years things have changed. Probably for the better.....but not as much fun! I have many wonderful memories of fair food, especially the Seattle worlds fair in 1963... The food court and the yummy strawberry covered thick waffles smothered in whipped cream ....OMG!
Respected Contributor

a corn dog, apple fritter, fried dough - sure. good to have.

but I would draw the line at deep fried butter or some of the newer creations. Those are just plain silly

and since Americans, both adults and children, are obese, they are not eating very healthy to begin with and fair food today surely doesn't help - because you can make that fair food at home now.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor
Elephant ears and freshly pulled taffy for me. I haven't been to the big state fair in a number of years though.
Super Contributor

On the very few occasions that we went to a fair, carnival, the movies, or an amusement park as a kid, we were not allowed to eat the food there. We either ate before, after or had a lunch packed for us to take along.

Honored Contributor

The Gilroy Garlic Festival serves a lot of treats with garlic. I did share a small glass of garlic wine with DH years ago. Blech {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

Nothing made at home ever tastes like real Fair food to me. I've lived here in NC for the last 40 years, and when my son was young, we always went to the NC State Fair. Even after he was a teenager and went with friends, I went with my friends just so we could eat our way through the whole thing! It was a treat, because we certainly didn't eat those things on a regular basis - my favorites were hot dogs or sausages with peppers and onions, french fries, corn dogs, and fried dough or funnel cakes. Yum - my mouth waters just thinking about it! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Trusted Contributor
On 9/1/2014 deepwaterdotter said:

They serve "decadently" tasty cream puffs at the Wisconsin State Fair. I last had one when I was 14 years old (the Stone Ages).

Last year, at one of our Christmas events, one of the Cardio Thorasic surgeons, and his wife, who is an RN, at large Cancer clinic, brought in cream puffs, that they love to make. Beyond Delicous!!

I'm pretty sure that they limit their cream puff eating, they're both about the size of string, BUT, they've got them down to such an art, there has to have been a fair amount of practice!

Honored Contributor
I agree, it's fun to go to a fair, and try some new foods, most of them, things I wouldn't normally eat. I first started doing this with my girl pals in my early twenties. We were all between 100 and 110 pounds in weight, but would look forward to these splurges. Today? The ones I still keep I touch with (and myself)... We might not be that teeny anymore, but we're all still thin and fit people. It's all about balance. We know we can't eat that way every day.