Honored Contributor

When something new appears on the scene there are those who just MUST have it at any cost. They are totally without the ability to evaluate if it is a good idea or a reasonable use of their money - they simply HAVE TO HAVE IT because everyone else does. As a proud tightwad I am not able to understand that mindset. Example : people who pay a small fortune for certain trendy cell phones. Or people who have to chuck almost their entire wardrobe each season to buy whatever the magazines say is that year's style. (I used to have a neighbor who did that every season - and she bought most of her clothes at Saks - some of the other neighbors who wore her same size did very well with her cast offs). My DH is a little bit this way with electronics but he is also a tightwad so that keeps him reined in. I also don't get when someone gets all in a huff because someone says they don't want to buy the newest and greatest widget out there. What do you care about what new technology somewhat else has or doesn't have? What difference does it make to you if I have SS appliances or white? If i have granite counters or formica?

Ok - rant over.

Honored Contributor

I know those like that and if that is what they enjoy - it's their money!! I don't understand it but I'm sure others don't understand what I like to buy. I don't care about such things but I also don't ponder and evaluate every purchase I want to make either. I buy what I want and it's no one's business what I choose to buy. Life is way too short to obsess about such things so buy what you enjoy.

Super Contributor

Don't want it? Don't buy it. What other people do with their money is their business, not yours.

Regular Contributor

I don't have that mindset either. I understand it's their money and they can spend it how they wish. I have seen others spend money like this but then complain when their cash is running short or they claim to not be able to have any savings.

Respected Contributor

It is none of my business what people do with their money. I've worked hard and spend as much as I save. I enjoy buying non-essentials and have earned that right. You sound very embittered and in order to live a self proclaimed cheapskate lifestyle, you chastise people who don't need to be cheapskates. Emphasis on "need."

Honored Contributor

I do not concern myself how people spend their money.

Super Contributor

My husband and I worked very hard so that we could retire in our 50s. One thing we learned in our journey to early retirement is to not comment or be concerned with the way others spend their money. I believe AA has a very good saying: ""You only need to worry about keeping your side of the street clean. Let others worry about theirs"".

Super Contributor

happy: Then you wonder why you get the responses you claim are just mean and nasty to you.

Mind your own business.

Esteemed Contributor

I understand what the OP is saying. I’m one that doesn’t care about having the latest and greatest. It seems I’m usually swimming against the tide. I hear you about granite vs Formica, SS vs white, etc. For me, I want the easiest thing to care for, and generally it’s not what’s in style.

I was recently criticized for having a flip cell phone. It doesn’t bother me. I’m happy with my choices and hope others are happy with theirs.

In some instances I think people feel pressure to keep up with the Joneses. People should be able to purchase what they want but I also think we have a problem in this country with over consumption and too much debt. We all pay for that.

Respected Contributor
Well, I.would agree with the o/p except for the fact that at the beginning of her post, she is doing exactly what she states she dislikes others doing to her...judging.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero