Esteemed Contributor

Speaking of sardines made me think of anchovies. I can't stand them, although I know people love them on pizza.

Not even fresh rye bread and chopped raw onions would help anchovies become edible.

What are your thoughts on anchovies?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

I love them on caesar salads. Occasionally, a restaurant puts them on some other foods, and they're okay....

Honored Contributor

i just had anchovies laying on top of my caesar salad the other night. i dont like to eat them whole like that, but my daughter does, so she ate them.

she likes white anchovies in particular.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

yes, love them on pizza, Caesar salad, I use them in sauces...

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

Yes, occasionally, on C. salad, rye/sourdough bread, and pizza, of course. Only when I think about it, which is right now! Thanks for reminding me to put them on my shopping list for tomorrow.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Are anchovies as healthy as sardines, or are they just oily and salty?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Super Contributor
Another Ceaser salad/anchovy fan. However I do put them in the blender with olive oil and egg,so I don't actually eat them whole.
Respected Contributor
On 8/31/2014 sunala said:

Are anchovies as healthy as sardines, or are they just oily and salty?

they have lots of health benefits. I do not eat them straight out of the tin - I rinse them first, so that they aren't as salty.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/health-benefits-anchovies-2748.html

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor
On 8/31/2014 Georgie the 5th said: Another Ceaser salad/anchovy fan. However I do put them in the blender with olive oil and egg,so I don't actually eat them whole.

i can eat them that way.....if i cannot see them. Wink

i remember some older upscale restaurants that used to use a wooden bowl and rub the anchovies into the bowl instead of serving them whole when they made the salads table-side......and they also used to use the raw eggs.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I knew/know many folks who lived/are living well into their nineties who ate/eat sardines and anchovies approx. once a week. Dark chocolates, too, only daily. Interesting. Also, they seem to look forward to their sip of port, etc. every evening. Smile

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).