Trusted Contributor

Friends and Family who Cut you Off

This has been bothering me for quite some time and just wanted to get some feedback from others. When you are on the phone with friends or family, do they cut you off to talk to someone else?

These are people I speak with infrequently so I update them and then move on. However, we will still be in the middle of a conversation and someone else beeps in on the call and they hang up with me. I know who is calling and I suspect that they have already spoken with them a few times that day.

I have now gotten to the point where I will not call anyone because I don't want to bore them with my drivel. These are people I have known pretty much my whole life. I am pretty busy so it is not like I sit around all day waiting to hang around on the phone.

What are your thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Re: Friends and Family who Cut you Off

It sounds like it is a waste of your time to ""bore them with your drivel.""

Super Contributor

This happens to me, also. And yes, I find it incredibly rude and inconsiderate. Another example that happens often - I will be speaking with a friend in person about something that might be important to me. They will cut me off to accept a call that clearly holds no significance (What are you up to? Nothing? Me neither.), etc.

Super Contributor

flickerbulb: Since you only suspect who is calling them, you have no idea why they did it. I do consider it rude to take a call like that, unless one is waiting for a job offer, the result of a medical test, an update on an ill loved one, etc. Even then it would be polite to say why. Just me.

Super Contributor

On 8/31/2014 Cakers1 said:

flickerbulb: Since you only suspect who is calling them, you have no idea why they did it. I do consider it rude to take a call like that, unless one is waiting for a job offer, the result of a medical test, an update on an ill loved one, etc. Even then it would be polite to say why. Just me.

This is actually a good point.

Trusted Contributor

Yes! This friend texts and takes calls but cuts me off when she is with others ""because it is rude""!

Trusted Contributor

On 8/31/2014 Cakers1 said:

No, they usually tell me who it is and I am guessing that they have already talked to them many times that day.

Of course, I don't expect anyone who is waiting for an important call to hang on with me.

Esteemed Contributor

I never answer my call waiting when on the phone with someone (because I find it rude!), unless my ID shows it is 1 of my kids, 1 of my grandkids, or if Im waiting for the Dr to call. Otherwise I call the person back when Im finished talking because I have caller ID so I know who it is. (this is on our house phone, I rarely use my cellphone).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

After this happens twice, I no longer call them and let them call me.

Another rude thing, you will be talking with someone in person and another person comes up and interrupes without saying EXCUSE ME OR WAITING UNTIL YOU ARE FINISH.

In my day of ancient, we just stood there until they acknowledged you or slightly turned away until they finish speaking. Now a person runs up and starts talking. Miss Manners, where are you? My son says, that was back in the day, and I reply, good manners has no generation gap or shouldn't.

Respected Contributor

My Dad constantly does this to me so I have come to expect it. I tell him to take the call. He is old and never really had good manners.