Regular Contributor

Multiple Sclerosis diagnosis

After three MRIs last week my doctor believes I have M.S. She will do a spinal tap on Tuesday to make a more firm diagnosis. Wondering if anyone here has experience with M.S. and can recommend helpful resources, advice, etc.

Honored Contributor

Re: Multiple Sclerosis diagnosis

I have no knowledge of MS but I am wishing you well. (((Pjoy)))
Super Contributor

((((((((((Pjoy))))))))))) Prayers & good wishes.I don't have helpful info but please post a thread in the Health forum too.

Super Contributor

nm

Super Contributor

I will say a prayer for you, and am somewhat surprised that your physician brought this condition up without a definite diagnosis. Knowledge is power, and having gone through several medical semi-catastrophes with my DH, I can tell you that it is a blessing to have the internet to find out information quickly when necessary. Doctors can be extremely helpful, but there is no one you can depend upon except for yourself to care as much as YOU about your own health care. Doctors and their staff have many, many patients to deal with.

Again, I will say a prayer for you. Knowledge is power, and you need to be in charge of your own medical care. If you cannot, I hope you have someone close to you who can help you out. Take care.

In Sunny AZ
Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry you are facing this diagnosis - I know it must be scary. I have no advice for you--I just wanted to tell you that my sister has had M.S. for over 25 years. It is a very slow progressing kind, and she started a walking exercise program as soon as she was diagnosed. She continued her job as a teacher and retired a few years ago, and is still doing well. She has a problem with one leg, but walks without help, etc. I just thought it might help to know that there are varying degrees of this disease, and maybe you can be hopeful that if it does turn out that you have it, it may not be as bad as you might expect.

Wishing you well...

Honored Contributor

Sorry you are facing this diagnosis, hope all goes well. I bet you will get some good advice from some knowledgeable posters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm not really surprised by this possibility, as it's popped up in symptom searches for the past couple of years. I just dismissed it in the past and even when I had numerous symptoms pop up at the same time a couple weeks ago MS didn't even cross my mind.

kittymom, thanks for telling me about your sister! Those types of stories always help to alleviate some of the fear, and I've come across quite a few since last week.

I am not that worried, but don't like having to wait for more definitive information. Trying to "get smart" just in case! And going with my gut. :-)

Honored Contributor

I can imagine pjoy...hoping you are fine and prayers to you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

My long post just got poofed. Good advice to make sure of the diagnois; both my daughter and niece were wrongly diagnosed and that has been 27 for one and 13 years for the other.

My brother has lived with M.S. for almost 25 years now. He has done quite well; drives on many long trips a year and walks with a cane. His advice to you would be to avoid stress as much as possible and to get a lot of exercise. I would also add seeing a good nutritionist who will recommend the right diet with supplements to build up your immune system. It is said that a compromised immune system is the cause for many of our illnesses.

I would definitely agree with Kicks (above) and heed her advice. I would go to the top for a certain diagnosis if at all possible even if such help is not located nearby. I have learned not to depend on local doctors as the source of absolute truth these days. Going to one of the 5 best hospitals in the country is the way I would go but if that is not possible, at least find a good teaching hospital somewhere. These hospitals also know the latest in treatments that have been life savers for me in the past.

The best advice we can give you is to take your health into your own hands and keep informed.; you are the one who knows your body best.

Try not to jump ahead in you imagination, pjoy. The cases of M.S that are usually publicized are generally the worse. Many are not that debilitating but please do get the best possible advice.

God bless and keep us informed.

HiLo