Honored Contributor

A true reality show called "Cops" has been filming in our city for some time now. Yesterday one of the Audio Engineers of that program was shot and killed during a holdup of a Burger King in our Midtown area, along with the one committing the crime.

The investigation of exactly what happened is still ongoing, but this much is known at the present time. The Cameraman and the Audio Engineer actually follow the police into the situations and that is what puts the "real in reality" of this TV series show. Not exactly sure of his positioning, but he was obviously in the line of fire.

It was found out after the shootings that the robber was using some type of air pallet gun that looked and sounded just like a true handgun. Once he pointed this gun at the officers, not sure at this point if he shot at them, the officers opened fired on him and he was killed.

The Audio Engineer, as do all police officers, was wearing a bullet resistant vest at the time. So far what is known is that the bullet entered under his left arm, around the armpit area, and that shot is what killed him. With the vests there is no protection in that area as that is where the front is connected to the back via some type of buckles or straps. I am not sure of the method of these vests as I have not seen one and how they are put on by the officers and the crew of the show "Cops".

This show I heard is in it's 25th year of production and this is the first time anyone connected with this show has been killed during the filming of them. It is believed that he was killed by what is known as "friendly fire" by the police officers. At this time the 3 police officers that discharged their weapons are on Administrative Leave while the event is under investigation along with their Internal Investigation done by the Police Department Internal Review Board.

There is more I could say about the specifics of this robbery and deaths, but should I do so this thread probably wouldn't last more than a couple minutes after a few replies.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

The production crews of these types of shows take a lot of risks. I'm surprised this hasn't happened before during their 25 years of the show.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Honored Contributor

Wouldn't the tv crew sign documents relieving the law enforcement personnel from any liability for death or damages?

Respected Contributor
On 8/28/2014 ktlynam said:

The production crews of these types of shows take a lot of risks. I'm surprised this hasn't happened before during their 25 years of the show.

Yes, I'm also surprised something like this hasn't happened before & very sorry to hear that it did. I'm afraid that sometimes those folks just take it for granted that they'll be OK when in fact they're in a great deal of danger. Maybe they'll be re-thinking how they do their programs from now on. Just as as aside, I sometimes watch those programs & have often wondered about the camera crews who put themselves into such risky sittuations.

Honored Contributor
On 8/28/2014 deepwaterdotter said:

Wouldn't the tv crew sign documents relieving the law enforcement personnel from any liability for death or damages?

The "Cops" show has a legal document that is signed by our City that relieves the City and I believe the Police Department of any liability in connection with the filming of these shows. I heard part of it read on our local news, but I am not that legally savvy to understand if this covers the officers and/or all city personal connected with any part of the filming of this show.

I would like to think that the leaders in our city would make sure that the city or none of its residents could be held liable for any injuries or deaths during the filming of this show. Now there was a Tanning Salon on the opposite side of the street where several bullet holes entered that building. Even though they had some clients at the time, none of them were injured or hit by these bullets. Now if they can recover from damages? Will leave that to those in the legal field to answer.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Hmm, surprised that hasn't happened on the RHONJ!

Super Contributor
On 8/28/2014 VCamp2748 said:
On 8/28/2014 ktlynam said:

Yes, I'm also surprised something like this hasn't happened before & very sorry to hear that it did. I'm afraid that sometimes those folks just take it for granted that they'll be OK when in fact they're in a great deal of danger. Maybe they'll be re-thinking how they do their programs from now on. Just as as aside, I sometimes watch those programs & have often wondered about the camera crews who put themselves into such risky sittuations.

I've also wondered how much the crew is an impediment or a distraction to the cops and how much it affects their safety or judgment.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Super Contributor

The 38 year old crew member, Bryce Dion, was a local Massachusetts man who has been with the show 7 years.

Other than "entertainment value", what purpose does a show like this serve? I don't watch this program (except when I have nodded off during a NASCAR race and then am awakened byt the "bad Boys" theme before I can change the channel) so don't know if it deters criminals or has helped apprehend fugitive criminals like some of the "most wanted" shows? OR does it give insights into the life of the police personnel like "Boston's Finest" did? Maybe someone can answer that.

Honored Contributor
On 8/28/2014 di-mc said:

Hmm, surprised that hasn't happened on the RHONJ!

It will when it is written into the script.

Esteemed Contributor

I heard and saw this on our news. It's under investigation. Will take some time so sort things out.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust