Esteemed Contributor

What Did Your Father Teach or Impart to You During Your Childhood?

On another thread, we've talked about what our Mothers taught us by the age of 10.

I think it only fair that we give our Fathers some thought as well, though this time, let's take our thoughts through our teen years.

Thanks so much for sharing. The "Mother" thread has been so interesting. I can't wait to read replies to this one.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Did Your Father Teach or Impart to You During Your Childhood?

I really think I got a Dad like no other Dad. First I need to say that he was very gentle, a man so sweet no one could possibly develop a dislike for him. He was a talented artist and writer and was an advocate for Native Americans. And, an extremely spiritual person who proclaimed to have had many psychic experiences that took his soul to other parts of the world. Yes, my Dad was one of a kind.

The coffee table was a place for him to express himself in the household ruled by my Mother. Its centerpiece was the Egyptian Book of the Dead, surrounded by many national geographics and two ancient history books. In this, he taught me to become familiar with something that meant a lot to him. I still retain an interest in ancient history and have collected some relics. He went on to become a Rosicrucian, attaining the highest degree, which taught me that one could work hard and study toward an end that had nothing to do with the work week (he had made an altar, which he placed in our basement). I picked this up and was actice with a non-profit women's organization for 30 years, where I learned an immense amount about myself and women in general.

He taught me never to say the word "ha-te," nor to utter it. Thus I was constantly saying, "I loathe" this or that as a teenager. More importantly, he taught me that I would be a better person if I would calm down and stop my negative reactions (my Prussian blood?).

He encouraged my involvement in music, which was sizable, and was always ready with a compliment. This was something my Mother never did.

He taught me how to plant plants and bulbs and cultivate a beautiful garden. He taught me to be kind to my cars, insuring that I always had them taken care of. He gave me an appreciation for film, as he took my sister and I to the movie at least every other week, many times they were foreign films with subtitles. And, he gave me a love of travel, through many cross country car trips taken over the years.

Most of all, my Dad taught me to be tolerant.

God Bless my Dad in Heaven. Love you - Rebecca

Valued Contributor

Aaah, this one is easy: The biggest lesson he taught me was if you are going to do something, then do it right. He never did anything halfway ever which is probably a good thing for a man who flew propeller and jet planes all over the world and in 3 warsSmile

Valued Contributor

....that we were recruits and subject to command---
Respected Contributor

Turn off the lights whenever you're leaving the room (unless you'll be right back), & keep the thermostat turned down in the winter. Unfortunately, my Dad was a workaholic who only wanted dinner, his newspaper, his cigarettes, his coffee, & his Oreos when he got home at 7 pm 6 days a week. He realized his mistake later, but he died in his early fifties so very little time to try to make up for what we all missed out on.
Regular Contributor

To SFNATIVE:

I so enjoyed your story about your father. It reminds me of my dad who was the sweetest guy. He came from a long line of Lutheran ministers and was so understanding,compassionate and tolerant. I remember when Nixon was having the debate with Kennedy and my mother was so disgusted with Nixon and all his sweating,bumbling talk,etc. (Like he was doing it on purpose). My dad, a lifelong democrat, said "The man is doing the best he can do". The highest compliment he ever gave me was when I was in my 20's. He said I had an understanding heart.

Respected Contributor

My Sweet Daddy instilled in me an insatiable love for music and the arts, and to not take life too seriously, and that laughter is good for the soul . I lost him six years ago.I keep his picture on my phone of the two of us hugging and laughing ....miss you and love you Daddy (:
Respected Contributor

girls can do anything that boys can do. Go to college, get a career before getting married and starting a family (all of my siblings, including me, did this...I was the only one that didn't have children, because I never felt the burning need to) Make sure you are in charge of your own finances, don't leave it up to your spouse.

my love of science and space exploration came from him as well.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Super Contributor

To do something correctly the first time

Not to be lazy

Men run decisions of the house

Men are in charge of the money

Housework/child care is for women

Guns are not toys and dangerous

Boys are worth more than girls

Girls just get married and have babies, not college material

Racial Prejudice

Super Contributor

Do it right the first time.

Teen years I had no calculator or PC. If I asked dad a question he'd tell me to look it up. We had a set of encyclopedias. If I asked a math question (he was an auditor), I was told to read the book and figure it out. Homework took a while longer that way, but I learned not to rely on others for much.... I didn't appreciate it at the time, but I do now. I wish I could have told him so.