Respected Contributor

Dogs on Restaurant Patios Approved By Gov. Brown

A law to allow dogs in restaurant patios and outdoor seating in California was signed by Governor Brown. However, the restaurant owner still has the final say and owners must clean up messes.I like dogs and cats but I would not care to eat where dogs are present. They may be well behaved or may not depending on their training. Some owners even allow them to sit in their lap and share food. So I guess patio seating is out for me. But I could still end up indoors sitting next to someone's faux service dog. Go ahead, blast me, tell me about how your dog is better behaved than children, how delightful that you can bring your pet anywhere even though others may not want to be around your pet.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dogs on Restaurant Patios Approved By Gov. Brown

Although I am a dog lover and have had many dogs as pets I actually agree with you on this. many people are afraid of dogs or allergic to,them and it is a shame when the rights of animals become as important as the rights of people. Even if owners are required to clean up any accidents do you really want to be sitting outside eating dinner and have the odor of a pet poop wafting over to you while you eat and. I cannot imagine sitting at a table next to someone who is busy scooping poop of the patio floor.
Honored Contributor

I'm not crazy about it either. I am very afraid of dogs.
Respected Contributor

I think it's wonderful!

Super Contributor

CA is a very pet friendly state but I don't want to sit with one while I'm eating.

Valued Contributor

I was in Oostende, Belgium, the first time a dog fight broke out behind me while I was eating dinner. I was in a lovely restaurant. It dampened the experience. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Respected Contributor

On 8/27/2014 LaterGator said:

CA is a very pet friendly state but I don't want to sit with one while I'm eating.

And it would be easy enough to ignore the restaurants with dogs, or don't sit where the dogs are. Simple.

Honored Contributor

Maybe one section for diners with their dogs. Another section for diners without their dogs? As long as there are containers of sanitizing wipes on the outdoor premises so when dog owners 'pick up the poo', they are able wipe/sanitize that spot on the patio floor, and then also, sanitize their hands with another clean wipe. (I've been noticing at our local outdoor mall that most people leave a slippery smudge on the walkway after picking up their dogs' poo.) Just a thought..............(Love, love dogs, BTW)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/27/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:
On 8/27/2014 LaterGator said:

And it would be easy enough to ignore the restaurants with dogs, or don't sit where the dogs are. Simple.

So human beings should have to forego sitting where they want so the animals can sit there???
Honored Contributor

On 8/27/2014 KathyPet said: Although I am a dog lover and have had many dogs as pets I actually agree with you on this. many people are afraid of dogs or allergic to,them and it is a shame when the rights of animals become as important as the rights of people. Even if owners are required to clean up any accidents do you really want to be sitting outside eating dinner and have the odor of a pet poop wafting over to you while you eat and. I cannot imagine sitting at a table next to someone who is busy scooping poop of the patio floor.

ITA with all you said. I too love dogs but not everyone trains their dogs, some misbehave - some are not even housetrained - and some bark 24/7. Why should I not be able to enjoy a pretty day out on a patio restaurant because someone can't control their dog? Also, not everyone keeps their dogs clean. Just what i want to smell as I am eating - someones dirty, smelly dog.