Respected Contributor

Good News for a Change - Update to Kidnapped Amish Girls Story

This brought a smile to my face and I thought others would enjoy hearing about it too.

The Stinsons, who were the couple responsible for returning the abducted Amish girls to their home, are getting a wonderful thank you from the Amish community. The Stinsons' garage had burned down earlier this summer, so the Amish decided to repay the couple's kindness by holding an old-fashioned barn raising, except this time it will be a garage raising. The girls, their 11 siblings, parents, grandparents and other relatives are expected to be on hand for the festivities. The father of the Amish girls told the Stinsons that he would be offended if he were not allowed to help rebuild the garage. They refused to take no for an answer.

It's very heartwarming to see that in some places, neighbors are still helping neighbors, the old fashioned way.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Re: Good News for a Change - Update to Kidnapped Amish Girls Story

This is a nice story.

Honored Contributor

LOVE IT! I caught a quick look of a barn raising one time as we drove though an Amish area in northern Indiana. If we could have pulled off the road to watch, we would have.

Honored Contributor

Nice...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

On 8/26/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

LOVE IT! I caught a quick look of a barn raising one time as we drove though an Amish area in northern Indiana. If we could have pulled off the road to watch, we would have.

How fascinating. I wish they could film it, but of course the Amish do not like to be photographed. Smile

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

I love photos of the Amish. This isn't related to the story, but it's a nice example.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Very nice story. Thanks for printing it.
Respected Contributor

SmileOn 8/26/2014 NoelSeven said:

I love photos of the Amish. This isn't related to the story, but it's a nice example.

Thanks for the photo. This is probably what the garage raising will look like with the huge table for food. I'd love to go; I think it would be fun. I hear the barns (or garages in this case) go up in no time and the workmanship is top-notch. What a nice thing for them to do for this couple.

Honored Contributor

This is a heartwarming story. We live in a rural area of PA and have a lot of Amish in our community so I've witnessed a number of barn raisings. They are fascinating to watch. They are always there for you when a tragedy occurs. I can attest to that fact.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

On 8/26/2014 Topaz Gem said:
SmileOn 8/26/2014 NoelSeven said:

Thanks for the photo. This is probably what the garage raising will look like with the huge table for food. I'd love to go; I think it would be fun. I hear the barns (or garages in this case) go up in no time and the workmanship is top-notch. What a nice thing for them to do for this couple.

Me, too! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

There are actually quite a few photos of the Amish online, if you're interested. I love looking at them.

There used to be a shop not far from here that sold things made my the few Shakers that were left at that time. I bought several little things, I wish I'd bought some of the furniture, but it seemed so expensive at the time. A few years later, I read there were only a couple of elderly ladies left. They didn't procreate and there weren't many modern people who wanted to join.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices