Super Contributor

Reclining - or Not on Airplanes

Flying isn't what it used to be - that's for sure.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Airline passengers have come to expect a tiny escape from the confined space of today's packed planes: the ability to recline their seat a few inches. When one passenger was denied that bit of personal space Sunday, it led to a heated argument and the unscheduled landing of their plane, just halfway to its destination.

The fight started when the male passenger, seated in a middle seat of row 12, used the Knee Defender to stop the woman in front of him from reclining while he was on his laptop, according to a law enforcement official with knowledge of the situation who spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak.

A flight attendant asked him to remove the device and he refused. The woman then stood up, turned around and threw a cup of water at him, the official says. That's when United decided to land in Chicago. The two passengers were not allowed to continue to Denver.

Both passengers were sitting in United's Economy Plus section, the part of the plane that has four more inches of legroom than the rest of coach.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_AIRPLANE_SEAT_RECLINE_FIGHT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=...

Respected Contributor

Re: Reclining - or Not on Airplanes

I'm definitely not condoning her behavior, and I'm glad she was detained as well. It's unfortunate that their childishness caused this delay for all of the other passengers. Having said that, he had no right to make that decision for her. If it's important to him to sit behind a non-reclined chair, he should pay extra to sit in an area where that isn't a concern (first row against the bulkhead or exit row). Alternatively, he could have asked her or negotiated with her for some un-reclined time (which would have been up to her to allow or not).

Super Contributor

And these folks were already sitting in an area with extra room.

Wow.

What I hate is when I am trying to eat and the person in front wants to fully recline.

But that - of course - is their ""right"" so what can you do?

Honored Contributor

My radio guys were JUST talking about this when I opened this thread! They were all for the Knee Defender...of course cuz they're tall, big sports guys. I can see both sides.

The flight attendant could have defused this by offering them to switch seats. Seems the solution is so simple.

I have a feeling it was the perfect storm....both boarded the phone 'loaded for bear', looking for a fight. They got it. Too bad the ENTIRE plane had to pay for their childish behavior. I would be sooooo PO'd if I witnessed this. Idiots.

Trusted Contributor

I heard the story on TODAY this morning and they said the ""knee defender"" is not allowed on US airplanes.

IMO the guy should've been asked to leave. Although the woman crossed the line when she threw water.

Super Contributor

On 8/26/2014 Deb1010again said:

I heard the story on TODAY this morning and they said the "knee defender" is not allowed on US airplanes.

IMO the guy should've been asked to leave. Although the woman crossed the line when she threw water.

You're right - the article also says:

The Federal Aviation Administration leaves it up to individual airlines to set rules about the device. United Airlines said it prohibits use of the device, like all major U.S. airlines. Spirit Airlines and Allegiant Air take the reclining mechanisms out of their seats, leaving them permanently upright.

Respected Contributor

The "knee defender" punishes the wrong person. It takes space from someone else on the plane when the problem is the airline and the space they allocate per person. If the person in front of me reclines, and the person behind me has the knee defender deployed, I'm skrewed. And I paid just as much as they both did for less space! I guess I shouldn't be surprised that such a thing exists in today's "all about me" society.

Super Contributor

I love to travel, but I have come to dread flying. It is so uncomfortable and if it is a long flight, not only am I exhausted, my body aches. Once, on an overseas flight, the guy in front of me had his seat reclined the entire time, even during meal service. I was forced to stare at his bald head the entire time I was eating. Now that was a meal! A couple of years ago, my daughter and I upgraded ourselves (through points and $) to first class on a 6 hour flight and that was quite nice. Wish I could do that again, but it will probably never happen again. A good memory, though.
Honored Contributor

Nobody should be allowed to recline then...

Super Contributor

When flying in economy, even Economy Plus, I never recline my seat. There is very little difference in my level of comfort, and I know how annoying that bit of recline can be to the person behind me. As someone who often uses my laptop on planes, I know that a sudden seat recline can easily cause a damaged or broken screen. The guy was probably trying to avoid that and might not have known the Knee Protector was not allowed. The woman had no right to throw water on him - period. She should have been arrested upon landing.