Respected Contributor

Duggar daughter expecting a baby

Jill and Derick, 8 weeks after getting married, announce they are having a baby.

Jill is a trained midwife.

I guess this is not a surprise.

Sister Jessa has become engaged.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Re: Duggar daughter expecting a baby

That bunch needs their own zip code.

Honored Contributor

How can you train in midwifery online?

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

On 8/22/2014 NoelSeven said:

She's a "lay midwife", which means zero qualifications, but she goes round with another midwife and learns on the job. She's more of a doula, really.

Honored Contributor

On 8/22/2014 Clover29 said:

She's a "lay midwife", which means zero qualifications, but she goes round with another midwife and learns on the job. She's more of a doula, really.

Thanks, Clover. We had close family friends whose daughter became a midwife... after years and years of formal nursing and specialty training. I had a nurse/midwife during my pregnancy, with a Master's degree.

Do the Duggers live in an area where qualified nursing isn't available?

Respected Contributor

I understand that she's working towards getting licensed, whatever that entails in her state.

BTW, there were a couple of threads already started about this yesterday. I haven't checked to see if they're still alive. Discussing that family always generates a lot of controversial discussion.

Honored Contributor

On 8/22/2014 VCamp2748 said:

I understand that she's working towards getting licensed, whatever that entails in her state.

BTW, there were a couple of threads already started about this yesterday. I haven't checked to see if they're still alive. Discussing that family always generates a lot of controversial discussion.

I asked because I saw someone post the other day that the Dugger children were homeschooled online.

Honored Contributor

On 8/22/2014 VCamp2748 said:

I looked it up...she can be a midwife in her state if she works along side another midwife for a certain number of births and passes a licensing test.

It's not the same as an RN Nurse Midwife.

I guess things are a lot looser where they live than in NY State!

Honored Contributor

On 8/22/2014 Clover29 said:

That's about it...it's not the same as a professional degree.

Super Contributor

Many of you seem unaware of the fact that you can get a bachelor's or even a master's degree online or primarily online. However a college degree is not required to become a CPM which is a certification recognized by 22 states which either license,register or certify the CPM (including NY state, terrier3). They must meet the standards of their state and NARM (The North American Registry of Midwives). This is what Jill is studying. It involves online instruction and actual practice under the supervision of a CPM. It is not a doula and they are eligible for Medicaid reimbursement in more than 10 states. The field of midwifery is really just coming into its' own again after decades of gyns convincing women that childbirth was a medical/surgical procedure.

From the NARM website:

The Certified Professional Midwife was developed to provide competency-based certification for midwives who are primarily apprentice-trained in out of hospital birth. The CPM credential allows multiple routes of entry to the profession in order to encourage innovation in education, adaptability to evolving best practices of the profession, diversity in the pool of credentialed midwives and broad accessibility to the profession.The competency-based model for certification assures well-educated, skilled and competent providers.

Aspiring Midwives can:

• Apprentice with a qualified midwife, completing an Entry-Level Portfolio Evaluation Process (PEP).
  • Attend a midwifery program or school.
  • If the school is accredited by MEAC, graduation qualifies you for the NARM written exam.
  • If the school or program is not MEAC accredited, you must complete the Entry-Level Portfolio Evaluation Program.

NARM’s Portfolio Evaluation Process (PEP) is an educational evaluation process that includes verification of knowledge and skills by qualified preceptors. Completion of this process qualifies applicants to sit for the NARM skills and written examinations.