Respected Contributor

Can somebody give me some insight, please? Re:Marie Antoinette

I am reading a biography about Huguette Clark -a person most of us have never heard of. She was a American, but was born in France. Throughout her life, the language and culture was very important to her. Huguette was wealthy beyond belief and she showered the children in her life with toys from a Parisian toy store called "Au N a I n B l e u " (sorry about that: the Kindle does not like foreign words). At any rate, I explored it this morning. Huguette was an avid doll collector so I thought I would explore girls toys. I was really surprised to see Marie Antoinette costumes and dolls-and they are exquisite. I have read many biographies about Marie Antoinette and the French Revolution, but I never thought about how the French regard her, her husband, and the revolution in modern times. My American mind initially thought " would I really want my daughter to pretend to be a woman who was vilified and met a violent death?" From the looks of these toys, it seems that the French are not looking at her with jaundiced eyes....or do they? How do the French see her these days? Poodlepet
Respected Contributor

Re: Can somebody give me some insight, please? Re:Marie Antoinette

Not an answer to your question but did you know Marie Antoinette's daughter survived, married? Marie Thérèse of France

Respected Contributor

I've read about Huguatte Clark.

Respected Contributor

Traveler, I do know about Marie Terese-what a sad life! Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

On 8/22/2014 traveler said:

Not an answer to your question but did you know Marie Antoinette's daughter survived, married? Marie Thérèse of France

Her son, the crown prince, was thrown into a well, was thrown food like a caged animal, went mad from the isolation and died of TB and many other maladies.

Super Contributor

Here's a thought. The passage of time can alter the perception and soften the reality of even heinous events. Since it's well over 200 years, it may be viewed by the French, and others, as more like a "story" than reality. I have been to Versailles and also walked around the Petite Trianon and while there, it is easy to imagine her dancing and playing around. But the sting of what happened to her is not as sharp as it was many years ago. I think she is remembered as a young woman who became a queen with more of a fairy tale aspect to it, especially for a young girl who has one of the dolls.
Honored Contributor

I've visited the palace where she was born in Vienna. The Austrians embrace Marie Antoinette.

Respected Contributor

I've read a lot about Marie Antoinette, and I've always been interested in her life. Mainly because was one of the daughters of Maria Theresia, Empress of Austria, (my grandparents, who were Italian, were born when their part of Italy was Austria). Anyway, Maria Theresia had sixteen children. She married her daughters off to form alliances. When Antonia (Antoinette) was 15, she was married to the Dauphin of France. She was very young and not very well educated in the ways of the French court, or in the societal issues of that time period. I think a lot of what she said and did was misinterpreted )for example, the phrase, "let them eat cake." Antoinette had four children, and has been posted, only her daughter Marie Therese survived. She married but had no children, and is buried in what is now Slovenia. I think Antoinette was considered a fashion maven in her day. Maybe that's what drives the popularity of the dolls. Maybe over the centuries, she has come to be seen with more sympathy. She did lead an interesting life, and in a turbulent time period. Maybe her story is so legendary, she's remained a popular figure. Those are my.guesses.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

I forgot to mention that Marie Antoinette and I share the same birthday. Day and month, not the year, of course.
Respected Contributor

The name of the book escapes me, but there was a book that I read that pointed out that the merchants-particularly in the fabric, silk and lace industries should have been kissing the ground she walked on. She breathed new life into those industries and really put France on the map as a center of fashion. In all the reading I have done, I have come to a couple of conclusions. Poor Louis was poorly educated and was in no way trained to rule. Not only was youth and inexperience against him, but he and his wife were surrounded by greedy, self-serving advisors. There was too much court intrigue and conspiracies that neither Louis or Marie were equipped to deal with....I am sure the French people look at this the same way I do now-but I am genuinely curious how they look upon it now. Poodlepet