Super Contributor

My DIL will be going back to her country at the end of October or first of November.........with my precious grandbaby.........so sad............no one to sponsor here and take on the expense with her insurance and the baby and then auto insurance and mother and baby's health insurance......they thought it would all work out but it is something no one is will to do for her and I would if I could but I do not qualify to sponsor her............I have been invited to go and visit for one week before the baby and mother go to her home country...........to stay a week and be with the baby but I don't have the money and really I don't think I could handle going there and being with her knowing she is going to be gone and never come back........this is what I was trying to avoid last year but they have to take care of themselves now.........I know my son is sad and I guess he does not have get up and go to get through hthis.......thank you for letting me share.

Honored Contributor

Never say never........The baby will quickly grow up and most possibly want to come back to America for visits, or maybe even stay here. Since she is a US citizen. Trying to think positive here..... I'm sure that DIL will be sending your DS photos, videos, etc. which he can forward to you. Anyway, wishing you and everyone well. Everything will work out, and I'm hoping your son's MIL will remain friendly with him, sending him updates, photos, etc. It's all we can wish for right now. Good health and safety for all concerned.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor
Is your son going to remain married to this person? I assume she is not planning on ever coming back to the US? What a mess your son and this woman made of things! I can't get over the feeling that your son is being ""used"".
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor
I don't understand, if she is married to your son isn't she automatically entitled to a green card that allows her to stay here? it sounds as if the marriage isn't working and she wants to go home.
Valued Contributor

Did they ever talk to you about him going over there with her and the baby?

Honored Contributor

I was just thinking.........the DIL may stay there in M. and decide she would rather be here after all. (I've seen this happen. (Other countries)) . . . . Maybe at that time, her mother will help her get a visa back to the US, and then possibly help her financially with applying for a green card, or whatever. Since, If I correctly recall, the mother is financially well.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

If I correctly remember, she needs a financially qualified sponsor in order to get a green card, (which surprised me, since she is supposedly married to OP's son). It was so confusing on a previous thread, and just when I thought I understood it all, I'm still confused regarding the laws, etc.

Honored Contributor

Well, all we can do is hope for the best for everyone. It's out of our hands, so-to-speak. Just wishing the best of health and safety for all of them. That's the important thing that we can do. It's very late, so I'll be signing off for now. Tomorrow is always another day, hopefully.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry to hear this and I am also confused. I'm not familiar with immigration laws but I do know many children born in the United States to a an American Citizen can remain here and are automatically American Citizens. I won't mention nationalities but when I lived in California I saw this happen all the time.

RRR, I hope your daughter-in law will be kind enough to send you pictures of your granddaughter. If she and your son get a divorce I doubt if she will communicate with you and you will have to depend on your son to send pictures. Is your son going to stay in Texas or will he want to move back in with you? In any case, I wish you well, and stay strong.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor
On 8/21/2014 chessylady said: I don't understand, if she is married to your son isn't she automatically entitled to a green card that allows her to stay here? it sounds as if the marriage isn't working and she wants to go home.
It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.