Honored Contributor

Did anyone see it today? I was curious why the woman who was lying to prospective parents for adoption is not being charged with fraud?

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't see it today but I have seen that episode as it is a repeat and I wanted to know this too. What a despicable human being that lady is.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor
I would have been on the phone to the police if I had been that couple. Aren't there charges that could be brought up against her?? Dr Phil was too easy on her...jmo.
Respected Contributor
I would have been on the phone to the police if I had been that couple. Aren't there charges that could be brought up against her?? Dr Phil was too easy on her...jmo.
Honored Contributor

Hula, he offered her counselling. Personally he should have offered legal assistance imo.

Frequent Contributor
I believe that as sick as she seems to be, the universe would profit more if she could get her head straightened out.
Valued Contributor

The couple involved said there was no paperwork. In this case, legally, it seems it's just a matter of one person lying to another and possibly money changing hands between "friends" - nothing illegal. Fraud would only happen if they had some sort of verifiable contract. Sad.

ETA: As an adoptive parent myself, I can't even IMAGINE going to Craigs list to start an adoption. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Honored Contributor
On 8/21/2014 guatmum said:

The couple involved said there was no paperwork. In this case, legally, it seems it's just a matter of one person lying to another and possibly money changing hands between "friends" - nothing illegal. Fraud would only happen if they had some sort of verifiable contract. Sad.

ETA: As an adoptive parent myself, I can't even IMAGINE going to Craigs list to start an adoption. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Craig's List for an adoption?

I'm sorry, but anyone foolish enough to do that shouldn't become an adoptive parent in the first place.

Super Contributor

She admitted her guilt, there was no paper trail, no legal recourse. the adoptive parents didn't keep records of what they did, or what they invested, etc. Also remember, going through Craig's list is not a proper way to adopt children.

You take on the risk of the outcome of what you do through a place like that. It isn't an official adoption agency. Sorry, but you loose.

Trusted Contributor

It was my first time seeing the episode and the woman who fell for it all was really a piece of work. I was shaking my head at how trusting she was -- and even felt the baby kicking and a foot when she placed her hand on the woman's belly??? And then (as others have mentioned) there's the whole Craig's List thing.

I thought it was very generous of Dr. Phil to offer to cover all the expenses and hook them up with a real adoption agency. The nursery looked beautiful.