Esteemed Contributor

Name a Few Skills Your Mother Taught You by the Age of 10

Looking into the eyes of my granddaughter today, I wondered what skills I could teach her, once she's old enough and has sufficient hand-eye coordination and such. This got me thinking about what my mother taught me by the age of 10. The list is long, but I pared it down to a few.

* How to make Toll House Cookies

* How to embroider

* How to wash and iron my own clothes

How about you?

Honored Contributor

Re: Name a Few Skills Your Mother Taught You by the Age of 10

Mom couldn't teach me anything because she was right handed and I'm a lefty. She also worked nights and dad worked days so that there was always someone home with me. She loves to bake and I cook. She sends sweets home and I send her food to eat.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

By 10 I was cooking meals, doing laundry, knew how to embroider, hem and mend, failed miserably at knitting and too many more things to itemize.

Respected Contributor

I learned a ton of stuff, most of it had to do with just life on a farm.......but one thing that stands out........how to kill, gut, pluck, singe the pin feathers off and how to cut up a whole chicken.............the last part was VERY helpful........the part before I can do without......BUT I know how to do it...........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

I could sew and knit....I remember making my own barbie clothes out of scrap material.

Respected Contributor

*The alphabet

*How to read a clock & tell time (real time, not this digital kwap-it was the 50s)

*How to tie shoelaces

*How to make up my bed, put my clothes away, or in the laundry hamper, put my toys & books away

*How to set the dinner table for our family of 6

*How to iron flat items, like pillowcases & my Dad's cotton handkerchiefs

*How to make Kool-Aid & instant pudding

*How to be independent - she was ahead of her time & always worked outside the home, much to the chagrin of gossipy neighborhood women

And I'm sure many others that escape my memory at the moment. The best thing she taught me was how much fun it is to lick the bowl & beaters when she made a Hershey's chocolate cake, with Hershey's frosting, every Saturday afternoon (from scratch).

Honored Contributor

To dress like a lady and treat my elders with respect.

Esteemed Contributor

Many things already mentioned by the various posters.

Always look both ways before you cross a street and to cross only at the crosswalk.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

Reading through your answers, I thought, "You know, I'm sure glad I wasn't 'plugged in' when I was a kid." There was a lot of practical stuff to learn and so many forts to be made and, yes, doll clothes to be made. It took my grandmother to teach me to do that. In 20 minutes she taught me how to cut out the small piece of fabric, long stitch to gather, gather at the waist, make a waist band, sew it on and then hand finish the waist band by hand, adding a hook and eye at the end. I'm so glad I had those precious times with her every other year.

Respected Contributor

How to set the table

Load the dishwasher

Sewing (repair simple things)

Properly make a bed

Dusting/vacuuming

How to properly hold a knife and fork (I really can't stand seeing people eat holding their utensils like shovels)

Clean up after the dog in the back yard (as I got older I called it sh*t patrol)

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that stand out.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy