Super Contributor

Can you wear clothes or jewelry belonging to someone who has passed?

I have worn some of my late Aunt's vintage clothing.

Recently purchased some jewelry from an estate sale of a lady that passed.

I know some people get freaked out by this.

On eBay, I see people purchasing used designer shoes all the time. That's wear I draw the line. Someone else's shoes I cannot wear.

I also get a little creep-ed out by antiques because I think there might be toxic mold, animal droppings, or bugs hiding in them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Can you wear clothes or jewelry belonging to someone who has passed?

I would not ever wear a strangers clothing - esp shoes. But a close family member like your Mother - why not? I already probably share all my Mom's germs.

Super Contributor

Jewelry yes, clothing no.

Honored Contributor

I wear some of my grannys house dresses and my great grandmothers jewelry on occasion. Reminds me of them. Antiques that I had are now gone and I don't have an attachment to others so i don't purchase them. Designer shoes ... not interested.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

When my grandmother passed I was one of the few in the family who was the same size so a lot of her clothes were given to me....she had some very stylish outfits that were perfect for the office back in the day when office dress codes were more formal than todays every day is casual Friday code.

Honored Contributor

I don't wear or buy used clothing or shoes from strangers, so no.

My mother passed in October, and I have a lot of beautiful sweater coats and other things of hers. She had some gorgeous one-of-a-kind jewelry and her wedding ring and some nice watches. I can't imagine letting those sit in a drawer or a safety deposit box, so I wear them.

We went through all her things and kept what we wanted and donated the rest.

Honored Contributor

It's funny but she had 3 t-shirts from Chico's - all black, 3/4 sleeves, ballet neckline. When we brought her home from the hospital and she was under hospice care, I would go for days without going home. I kind of took those t-shirts from her closet. I have been wearing them like a uniform all these months.

I don't think she ever wore them either.

Respected Contributor

I wear jewelry & scarves that belonged to my late mother & late grandmother. The jewelry is especially meaningful as I always think of them wearing those pieces, so it makes me feel closer to them even though they are physically gone. Couldn't wear any of their clothes we were very different sizes.

Super Contributor

My daughter wore a white shawl at her wedding which was my mother's. I thought of it as my late mother's arms around her. My mother would have been so happy. I also have jewelry, of course.

Super Contributor

Yes, my Mothers...