Trusted Contributor

Anyone Have Tips for Packing "Care Packages" for College Student?

For the first time I am in the position to be sending "care packages" to my oldest grandson who just left for college. I'm sure it will turn out to be cookies, snacks, things like that for the most part.

Does anyone here have any tips and/or packing material ideas for packaging food items to keep crushing and crumbling to a minimum? I hate to send cookies that turn out to be a bunch of crumbs when he gets them.Smile

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone Have Tips for Packing ""Care Packages"" for College Student?

Put the cookies/snacks in plastic storage containers, then ship those wrapped in a throw blanket or bath towels because he can re-use the throw and the towels.

Honored Contributor

I would use a regular cardboard box (like the ones QVC uses). Tape all the outside edges and when sending cookies use a metal tin and then tape it to the inside of the box so it doesn't shift and use those air bag pillows or other items (you want to send, also taped down) around them. Priority Mail has insurance already included up to $50 so you can be able to track when your GS receives it.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I used to send Christmas cookies to relatives in popcorn tins inside of cardboard boxes. I would buy them inexpensively, dump the popcorn, and mail the cookies in the tins. Send enough for the dorm. Smiley Happy I will be sending care packages beginning this Fall as DD goes off to college.

Respected Contributor

Unless you are sending a special homemade treat, send your GS money or a gift card to buy snacks. The cost to mail a package has gotten outrageous.

When I sent cookies I wrapped each individually in Saran Wrap then packed them in popcorn for cushioning.

Trusted Contributor

Great suggestions already! Thanks so much for taking your time to help me with this.

Super Contributor

Years ago my son was in the Marines. I had heard of a handy tip to prevent items from ""banging"" against one another. Fill ziploc type bags (whatever size you need) with popcorn and place between items. They prevent the ""banging"" and crushing of other items while supplying an additional treat......the popcorn.

Respected Contributor

Bubble wrap. I send baked goods to family in other.states, and I always use lots and lots of bubble wrap.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Bubble wrap, bags of popcorn, crumpled newspaper, and storage containers are all good ideas. I've used all these ideas at one time or another with success.

Good luck. Smiley Happy

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

I would check the town the university is in for various florist/vendors that cater to the college town. I was able to have regular deliveries (cookies, cakes, balloons, custom orders) to my DS with these services while he was away. It saved a bundle on shipping and handling and they delivered to his dorm/apartment.