Regular Contributor

Garage Sales : Do You Like Them

Garage sales... Do you like them, ever gotten a good deal on something.
Super Contributor

Re: Garage Sales : Do You Like Them

Yes and I've gotten good deals. I don't go around looking for them, but if there is one in my neighborhood, I certainly check it out.

Esteemed Contributor

No. Don't like to have garage sales or visit them. Just not me. I was watching our garage sale once while my husband was at his softball game. End of the day, it began to sprinkle and I got bored. Wrote a sign that said -- free or best offer. My last time to have a garage sale. I know garage sales are great for a lot of people.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

no but I call my husband Fred Sanford.

I had one once years ago. I now just throw it away or donate. I don't have the patience to hold on to it until I have a yard sale.

Super Contributor

Yes we made a shriving ebay business out of them. What is one mans junk is another mans treasure. we have acquired a number of items from garage sales that collectors have bid extremely high on.

It didn't happen over night, but iPhone and the internet let you check to see if you found a bargain within moments.

Esteemed Contributor

YES! They are great in my area and very common. I've bought a lot of antiques at garage sales and too many items to list. This thread and thrift shops appear often. We go just about every weekend.

Honored Contributor

As irrational as it may be, I always have a fear of bringing someone else's problems (i.e. bedbugs, lice) home with me in used items.

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who has a knack for finding great buys, especially art work. She lives a bit too far for me to go junking with her anymore.
Honored Contributor

I find it distasteful to paw through other people's castoff junk. Hate garage sales and thrift shops.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

On 8/16/2014 kachina624 said: I find it distasteful to paw through other people's castoff junk. Hate garage sales and thrift shops.

Some of that castoff junk is worth a lot of money. do you know how many antique items we've picked up from art to limited edition paintings. gold in the junk jewelry box for 25 cent. 1st edition books, pieces from overseas that came from old taverns since shut down.

we only go for the money items.