Trusted Contributor

Silly (dumb) ? about driving to Cape Cod

Recently I posted a thread about DH and I going to Maine for our vacation this year. I got to thinking it would be nice to stop at Cape Cod for a couple of nights on our way up there. As I've posted before, I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks (most often while traveling), but I refuse to stop going anywhere because of them. My panic attacks come on with no warning and often for no apparent reason.

Crossing long and/or high bridges is one thing that brings on severe panic attacks for me. So, my question is, are there any bridges heading into Cape Cod?

If you do not and have never suffered from anxiety and panic attacks you will not understand this, but I'm sure some of you here do understand. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Silly (dumb) ? about driving to Cape Cod

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I can certainly empathize with you. For many years now I've had a very similar fear, but mostly only if I'm driving. I have the same fear about high, arcing curves on a super highway. I wish you well.

Trusted Contributor

On 8/15/2014 Krimpette said:

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I can certainly empathize with you. For many years now I've had a very similar fear, but mostly only if I'm driving. I have the same fear about high, arcing curves on a super highway. I wish you well.

Thanks for understand, Krimpette! I know exactly how you feel. It's a horrible feeling!!! I even have trouble with smaller bridges. I still have panic attacks with DH driving, but at least when he's driving I'm less likely to cause an accident. Panic attacks are debilitating!

Respected Contributor

You can google it there are bridges depending on how you are getting there.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I remember crossing a bridge when we used to go visit my uncle and cousins who live in Orleans and Harwich. I googled and there is a bridge. You can Google it.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

It has been about ten years since we went so I don't recall but there has to be bridges somewhere..

the reason we won't go any longer is that one highway..can't remember the name..it is so congested on the weekend. It is a small highway and it can take you 45-min to go a couple miles.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, there is a bridge right as you cross onto the Cape. Would hate for you to miss out because of that. Cape Cod is beautiful.

Contributor

The only way to get on Cape by land is to cross either the Bourne Bridge or the Sagamore Bridge. They are parallel to each other and about three miles apart. The Cape is separated from the mainland by the Cape Cod Canal.
Super Contributor

Yes, either the Bourne Bridge or the Sagamore Bridge, both cross the Cape Cod Canal. Google them and you can get the particulars so you can decide if it's something you can handle. There's no way to drive onto the Cape without going over a bridge.

Honored Contributor

There is a bridge and its about a 6 hour drive

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.