Esteemed Contributor

Well I wont be joking w my teen G daughter again. She is scared of spiders, runs, and screams when she sees one. Id say oh honey they wont hurt you and giggled a little and said its OK. In fact I have knocked down webs on our deck with my bare hands.

(Id laugh when girls would swat bees & scream when I was young IF they were NOT allergic to them).

Well my son went to the ER today. He was BIT by a spider and his ENTIRE leg is swelled up! Hes on anti-biotics and can NOT work.

I guess I wasn't listening in Science class. I always thought spiders that bite were not around here. I was wrong. My G daughter wrote a text and said I TOLD YOU SO, NOW YOU KNOW WHY I HATE SPIDERS. When Im wrong I say Im wrong. I wrote back Im sorry you were RIGHT honey.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Some of us feel about spiders the way you feel about mice, Shorty.{#emotions_dlg.scared}

I'm so sorry to hear about your son. One of my cousins (in Alabama) lost a big chunk of his leg to a brown recluse spider bite. We've seen them frequently in Tennessee, too. Sending good thoughts out to you and your family.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I have an awful fear of spiders and can't help myself to scream bloody murder when one scares me. I mean like ear piercing loud.

I don't remember, but I guess I passed that along to my children, even my sons who are both 6'2" and big muscular guys, they will run and scream like girls when they see one. It's awful!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

We were sitting out back Tues night and my son had a spider crawling up his tee and I said "If you had a spider on you would you want to know?" and he said yes, and then he looked down. He jumped backwards out of his chair, I don't even know how he did it. He just went straight up in to the air and landed behind his chair.

Then we didn't know where the spider was.{#emotions_dlg.scared}

I wish I wasn't afraid of them, but I am.

Super Contributor

DS was over here yesterday and found a tarantula in my yard. It's a good think my dog didn't see it, she might have got bitten. DS tossed it over the fence. I'm glad I didn't see it, either.

Super Contributor

Why would a grandmother who is scared to death of mice, tease her granddaughter about her fear of spiders?

Respected Contributor

We have lots of spider webs between the railings on our deck.

You can't really keep them away. You brush them down, and they're back the next day.

They are pretty, though. Charlotte. Smile

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor
All spiders bite. However, most of them won't bite a human unless they feel threatened, and you usually don't know when this will happen. Usually, people are bitten because they inadvertently disturb them...like reaching into a dark space to pick something up...a spider is there, and you get a bite. The reaction varies according to what type of spider bites you, and how sensitive you are to these bites.
Honored Contributor

They are beautiful creatures. And I like to admire them from a distance.

Honored Contributor

Take it from a person who was bitten by a brown recluse...yes some spiders can be extremely harmful to your health. I was hospitalized for 11 days on massive doses of antibiotics intravenously...after surgery and losing part of my big toe. If your a spider around me...you are a goner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Super Contributor
Way worse than mice!!!