Respected Contributor

Could Really Use Some Opinions/Suggestions On A Bunch Of New Neighbors

Four different houses all around me. I am going crazy. I am homebound and sick with no family or friends to help out.

I have all these new neighbors and it is not quiet anymore.

house 1 - 3 dogs that bark when they leave and their windows are open. Leave their trash cans out in front 24/7 which is illegal.

house 2 - a cat that roams all over and the guy has illegal pipes on his SUV. Extremely loud, he comes and goes all the time and warms his truck up for 30 minutes this winter. Sounds like a motorcycle in my bedroom. They park where I have trouble getting out of my driveway and I have talked to him and his GF.

house 3 - renters just moved in with 2 cars and frequent guests that park anywhere they want to. I think they park everywhere but their own house, I don't get it. Already heard them fighting a bunch. They park next door to their house and in front of mine which messes up the people that actually live there. 2 more new dogs that bark when they leave too.

house 4 - the house next door just sold and a father bought this house for his single daughter. Maybe she will be quiet but who knows, I am expecting the worse.

Most of these people do not mow their yards very often and I hate strange cars parked in front of my house and on the grass. I have had to call 911 a few times in the recent years and it would be nice if they could park in front of my house if I need them.

I have lived here 30 years and the neighbors seem to sell every 4 years or so. Big turnover. I have tried to be friendly but they don't seem to care.

I can't move and maybe because I am home all the time it's starting to get to me. This is a pretty nice neighborhood or use to be.

Any opinions or suggestions? I called the city and I can complain and file complaints but would it really do any good. I don't want to be the crazy neighbor that everyone hates but I can't stand all the inconsideration. I just want peace and quiet. Would this bother anyone else?

Super Contributor

Re: Could Really Use Some Opinions/Suggestions On A Bunch Of New Neighbors

If you are absolutely certain you cannot move (do you own or rent?), I would suggest shades and earplugs and turning your television up. Or getting headphones for your television or stereo. It sounds to me like your neighborhood has changed a lot from what it used to be. I am sorry for the situation you are in, but if you must stay developing a tolerance for it and blocking as much of it out as you can is the best advice I can give you.
In Sunny AZ
Honored Contributor

I live in a community with an HOA. Many people don't like this kind of community but we no longer have problems like you described. No real advice for you:/
Honored Contributor

Oh, I would try a white noise machine though. Google Lectrofan.
Honored Contributor

Hoping and praying that your new next door neighbor is a very nice person. That will help a lot because she just might feel the same as you, and perhaps she will be able to encourage folks to be more considerate, etc. Lots of good luck to you, and let us know if your new neighbor next door is a nice, considerate person.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Are there any community services where folks can come in and check on you, perhaps take you to their center for an hour or two each day? Some type of services could be available. Also, maybe a social worker or someone can try to help bring more peace and quiet into your neighborhood. If you need medical help, I'm certain that someone from a community agency can help by sending a nurse out to see you, etc. Just thinking of options.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

I am so sorry you are homebound, have to listen to all that krap and have no family/friends to help out. You are totally right to feel the way you do based on your description of the neighbors and their violations. I tend to agree with 4KICKS that unfortunately (and unfairly) you probably are the one who will have to adjust. It doesn't sound like your neighbors are willing to compromise. You might try talking to them again, one by one. Or you can keep calling the cops to come out on a case by case basis and quiet them down.

It really does s.uck when a neighborhood goes downhill. That happened in a neighborhood DH and I lived in once. We had ladies of the night hanging out near the fence of our apartment complex. Luckily we now own a house and we have plenty of space between us and our neighbors and it's a good neighborhood (knock-on-wood).

Good luck and I hope things get better. Smile

Honored Contributor

I think you're going to have to live and let live. Most of your complaints are minor and petty. Most people are active, have friend and lives to live. As long as it's a public street w/o a no parking zone, people can park where they wish. Dogs bark...if they become excessive barkers you can call the police or animal control. Young men often have loud cars; hopefully they're going away when you hear them.

There has to be some tolerance on your part. Sounds like this is just a normal neighborhood with active people. Be careful that you don't get the reputation of being a fuss budget and trouble-maker. These people are "normal"; it's you who is abnormally quiet and sedate.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/11/2014 kachina624 said:

I think you're going to have to live and let live. Most of your complaints are minor and petty. Most people are active, have friend and lives to live. As long as it's a public street w/o a no parking zone, people can park where they wish. Dogs bark...if they become excessive barkers you can call the police or animal control. Young men often have loud cars; hopefully they're going away when you hear them.

There has to be some tolerance on your part. Sounds like this is just a normal neighborhood with active people. Be careful that you don't get the reputation of being a fuss budget and trouble-maker. These people are "normal"; it's you who is abnormally quiet and sedate.

I think she has every right to be unhappy with inconsiderate neighbors. and I wouldn't call this just a normal neighborhood. People cannot park where they wish and cars that have been fitted with illegal parts that make them loud are just that, illegal and it doesn't matter if the owner is young or old. Calling the poster abnormally quiet and sedate is rude and uncalled for and unfair.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

What you are having to endure is horrible. I am so sorry you can't have peace and quiet in your own home. That's the one place where we should enjoy serenity.

Call the city and see what their advice is.