Esteemed Contributor

My eye doctor is holding my medical records until I pay him and then have to wait 90days.

I want to change eye doctors in the near future, I called up requested my medical records from last year and I can not get them unless I pay him quite a bit of money and then I have to wait 90 days or until he decides when he will be releasing them. it is like he is holding my medical records hostage? When I changed my medical coverage last year all my other doctors responded in three weeks time without any trouble and I paid nothing. I could not believe this could it be he is annoyed he is losing me as a patient. Wondering now my new doctor has no base line on me from last year. He is not a nice man. Wondering what your thought are? has this very thing happened to any of you? Thanks in advance .. Anna aka Matty6

Super Contributor

Re: My eye doctor is holding my medical records until I pay him and then have to wait 90days.

I don't know, but that doesn't seem legal. I think I might do some research, take a ream of Xerox paper in, drop it on the counter and tell them I will wait.

Super Contributor

Re: My eye doctor is holding my medical records until I pay him and then have to wait 90days.

Do you owe him the money from prior visits/services or is he asking for a fee to release them to you?

I'm not sure about your situation; I've never had a problem getting records released.

eta: Those are YOUR records, not his. I'd check with your local medical board.

Esteemed Contributor

I do not owe them any money. At the time I paid out my own pocket ... It cost me over 2,000 between glasses and exams and medication....Maybe he's seeing a cash cow in me who knows? I do not like him. At the time I was having some issues with my eyes and needed a place close by.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/31/2014 Cakers1 said:

Do you owe him the money from prior visits/services or is he asking for a fee to release them to you?

I'm not sure about your situation; I've never had a problem getting records released.

Thank you I will!

Super Contributor

That's not right. Those records belong to you not him. The most he could charge your for is a photocopying fee unless his records are computerized, then maybe a printer paper fee.

That's horrible. No wonder you don't like him. Good luck to you.

Esteemed Contributor

It is a fee [read this letter again] quite a large one.{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Super Contributor

I think you need to contact the medical board; this does not sound right at all.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Super Contributor

On 7/31/2014 Matty6 said:

Thank you I will!

Matty: Even if you owed him the money, you are the owner of those records, so it wouldn't matter. I only asked because I wasn't sure by your post if you owed him or he was just being a pain. Either way, your records, your right to access them.

Good luck.

Super Contributor

A dr can't legally hold your medical records regardless if you owe them money. The have 30 days to get them to you. The can and will take legal action to get the money from you. I don't know any dr that provides servicewithout you having to pay for it at the time of your appt. taking into account your insurance.