Super Contributor

So should the 3 year old have been supervised - or is it fine to leave him alone - since he's in his own yard and all?

(CNN) -- A 3-year-old boy in Southern California died Wednesday after he climbed into an unlocked car on a hot summer's day and was trapped, police said.

The toddler was playing alone in the front yard of his house in Sylmar while his parents were home when he got into the car and couldn't get out, said Officer Bruce Borihanh with the Los Angeles Police Department.

Police told CNN affiliate KABC that the boy's father woke from a nap and found the boy unresponsive. It was unclear how long the child was in the car, KABC reported.

The toddler was rushed to the hospital but was pronounced dead.

Super Contributor

A three year old should be supervised at all times....period. A car is considered an attractive nuisance and should be locked so that kids can't get into it. Anyone with any sense should know both of these things. What a tragedy, and so unnecessary.

Super Contributor

I can't imagine leaving a toddler alone to his/her own devices, whether inside the house or outside.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Super Contributor
No child should be left unattended PERIOD.
Honored Contributor

Yikes! I never let my son play in the front yard (no fence) even when I was there...he'd probably run. I always supervised him in our walled in backyard. What were these parents thinking, doing or not doing? What was so important that they couldn't watch him?

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor
On 7/31/2014 RainCityGirl said:

A three year old should be supervised at all times....period. A car is considered an attractive nuisance and should be locked so that kids can't get into it. Anyone with any sense should know both of these things. What a tragedy, and so unnecessary.

Those parents should be charged, only a fool would leave a three year old outside on his own. Having access to a car, even if it's locked, is an accident waiting to happen; suppose the child climbed on top of it and fell off on to the hard driveway.

Honored Contributor

What kind of idiotic nimrod moron jackasses leave a 3 year old unattended?

Respected Contributor

So sad. I keep my car locked at all times. You just never know...

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

It is a tragedy and no, I wouldn't be leaving a 3 year old outside to play alone. Why he was outside yesterday when the temperature was in the triple digits?

Honored Contributor
There are no gray areas with this deathSmiley Sad