Super Contributor

Attn. Grammarphiles - need help

I tend to overuse and probably misuse the word "that" so I'm hoping you can give me a rule, which I can't seem to find on-line. Here is a sample sentence:

The doctor explained that it was probably caused by a virus and that it would resolve on its own, but that I could speed up my recovery by taking aspirin.

I think I can take out the second "that." (Oh, but in the previous sentence, should there be a "that" after think? I think that I can take out the second "that." lol

The doctor explained that it was probably caused by a virus and would resolve on its own, but that I could speed up my recovery by taking aspirin.

What is the rule, please? {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Honored Contributor

Re: Attn. Grammarphiles - need help

Boy, you have a good one here. I can read the whole sentence with no that's and it makes sense, also. The spelling program put in the apostrophe.

Honored Contributor

I don't know about "rules," but you can take them all out and still have the sentence make sense.

"The doctor explained it was probably caused by a virus and would resolve on its own, but I could speed up my recovery by taking aspirin."

Honored Contributor

I don't know the rule, I don't know if there is a rule. I'd go with....

The doctor explained that it was probably caused by a virus that would resolve on its own; but, I could speed up my recovery by taking aspirin.

Esteemed Contributor

I just checked my Strunk & White, and there is nothing on "that." The only rule they have is on the difference between "that" and "which," which is another story!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

""that"" is just a fancy ""like""..! Read it aloud with ""like"" & you sound like a Valley Girl! ITA with brii....remove all 'that' and remove second 'it'.

Respected Contributor

I don't have a rule of thumb on this. However, I agree you could take out all the "thats" and the sentence sounds less "conversational" .

Agree with sidsmom also about the second "it".

Honored Contributor

The doctor explained that it was probably caused by a virus and that it would resolve on its own, but that I could speed up my recovery by taking aspirin.

i would probably write it like this.....

The doctor explained it was probably caused by a virus and that it would resolve on its own. He also recommended I take aspirin if I wanted to speed up my recovery.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

If "it" was established in the previous sentence, you refer to it once in each sentence.

Super Contributor

Thanks everyone. I guess the fewer the "thats," the better it sounds. I'm writing something and realized (that) {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I was using them very inconsistently, so I thought (that) there might be a rule.